Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

tristansmom

How Careful About Non-Food At School?

Rate this topic

My sons 3rd grade teacher asked me if he can use products containing gluten for art/science projects (ie paper mâché paste, etc). I hadn't thought about this! How do you all handle it? Is it safe for him to be exposed to this stuff?

Also, the kids use cloth placemats that are reused throughout the week. They each have their own (rolled up with a rubber band) and they are all stored in a big tub. Is this too risky for him? Should his be kept separately?

My son has other issues that set him apart from his peers, and I don't want him to feel more different...but at the same time he needs to be safe....

Nope.  No way would I have my kid in the room during the mixing of the paper mache - flour everywhere (!!!).  I spoke with our art teacher about her supplies and found out that she isn't using gluten items for 3rd grade.  We did come up with a plan that she would have my kid wear latex gloves if she does something "on the fly" in the room with an item that I haven't already approved.

Now, after going over every product that the art teacher is using it's pretty clear that most of her supplies (the good quality stuff) are gluten-free.  What products would be used on the placemat?

I know I absorbed flour through a pizza crust I was making for the rest of the family and I reacted.  For this reason I requested my daughter not use the papeir mache.  The art teacher was ok with my request.  Not sure about the placemat....  good luck!

I personally would say NO to all Gluten containing items and  supply my own mat to be stored separately. Cross contamination is a real threat in the classroom.  My 504 plan is clear on this and  I have even  talked to the teachers about having kids wipe desktops top to bottom as when they will wipe side to side and they were just flinging the crumbs across the desks.  

i would not allow my daughter to use any products with gluten.  i meet with her teachers each year and go over the planned projects.  we eliminate or substitute any projects that wouldn't be safe.

my daughter eats on a carpet square at school and we got her own sq (it is slightly bigger then the others) and stored in a separate place.  it sounds like the placemats are  great idea in your sons class but i would actually send him his own each day so it is clean.  if this is not an option i would store his in a separate location.  kids are messy during lunch and crumbs are flying ;)

i understand not wanting to have him stand out.  it is so hard, right?? but maybe with a little help from his teachers is can all  be very behind the scenes.  good luck!

My son is super sensitive, so gluten in art supplies is a big No. His school also reuses cloth placemats and cloth tablecloths throughout the week. He has his own silicone placemat that he keeps in his lunchbox and just puts it over the top of the school one. His lunchbox and placemat get washed every evening at home and the "ritual" of rolling up the school placemat is preserved. It helps both him and his friends remember that his lunch is a "no touch" zone without being too obtrusive.