kathykat

Diagnosed But Not Gf Yet.

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed in July and am still not gluten free.  I can't seem to figure out what to eat.  I don't cook, never really have.  Can't figure out what to bring for lunch.  I work two jobs and get home late.

I am struggling with depression (most of my life) and fibromyalgia and that isn't helping either.

Please if someone could tell me what kind of cereal to get!!  I always ate cereal all the time, even for dinner or snacks.  I hate the Chex and Rice Krispies, they are so mushy!

I need something with substance.  Is there anything like that out ther?

Thanks for any help.

Rice Krispies are not Gluten Free..but there is a gluten-free formula of them.  What cereal did you eat before?  As for food to take for lunch, what about canned tuna or chicken (or packets) with gluten-free crackers, cheese, cut up vegetables (cut up a bunch and keep them in the fridge and just add to your lunch).  There is gluten-free lunch meat and gluten-free bread to make sandwiches, etc. Ask at your grocery store if they have a dietitian on staff that can help you pick out gluten-free items in your store?  Can you cook on Sunday and pack up lunches for the rest of the week in plastic containers, freeze a couple and keep a couple in the fridge?  Make some gluten-free casseroles or whatever.  Chicken is easy to cook.  Maybe take some cooking classes to learn how to cook?

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry you are having so many problems trying to find what to eat.  It sounds like you might not have time to take a cooking class working two jobs, but they have tons of videos on youtube that would help you learn to cook.  Maybe you could watch a few a day so you could figure out a few easy meals to make.  I would suggest something that is relatively easy, maybe a roast you could put in the crock pot.  I would suggest things that you can take for leftovers also, so you don't have to be cooking all the time.  Lasagna is pretty easy to make if you get the no cook noodles. I put mine together the night before I am going to cook it and then throw it in the oven the next day.  It also freezes really well.  Fresh fruits and veggies are also a good choice if you can handle them. Fresh salads are easy also, you can get some precooked meats for them so you just have to prepare it in the morning. I try to stick to mostly whole foods right now and stay away from processed foods, but with the convenience factor of them you might not be able to do the same. Your local store should have a gluten free section, check it out.  

We eat a lot of Chex here and Fruity or Cocoa Pebbles.  I also have a waffle iron, the mixes are easy and the waffles only take a few minutes.  I haven't tried a lot of the other brands of gluten free cereals because they really aren't readily available here and they cost a lot more for less than the others.  Amazon has a lot on their web site, maybe check them out.

I know you are having a hard time right now, but you have to get completely gluten free.  That is the only thing that will help with the symptoms.  I have depression and fibro also and they both have improved gluten free, not resolved but better.  Read the newbie thread under the coping section, they have dinner ideas in it and a lot of information.  Good luck.