Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Scott Adams

What Are The Genes Behind Celiac Disease Inheritance? | Genetic Literacy Project - Genetic Literacy Project

Rate this topic

What are the genes behind celiac disease inheritance? | Genetic Literacy Project

Genetic Literacy Project

The growing list of genetic diseases and disorders that are associated with the heterozygote advantage has led many researchers to search for previously-undiscovered connections. This may offer an explanation for why celiac disease appears to be more ...

View the full article

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have confirmed celiac disease (family history of celiac and autoimmune disease, biopsy, enzymes) and recently had my genome done by 23andme. On websites such as eupedia.com there are lists of genes contributing to disease liability. The HLA-DQA1 Rs 2187668 risk allele T appears to be the strongest indicator (I am TT) with an odds ratio of 6, but other genes are listed with an odds ratio of around 2. It would be interesting to hear from celiacs who know more about this expanding field what useful information we can get from all this about family liability.

Join eNewsletter