Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

atheresa

Allergy to Grass

Rate this topic

I have a weird question. When I was 15 I had the whole prick test for allergies. The doctor only did inhalant allergies because he said that I did not have stomach troubles at the time so obviously I did not need tested for foods. The test revealed a sever allergy to every kind of grass there is. He said yard grass, grass in the woods, and hay. I cannot even sit down in grass without getting little bumps.

Now, I have been wondering if there could be any relation to my grass allergy and my intolerance to wheat and gluten. Is that crazy? 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

No, it's not crazy.  I never had allergy testing, but I used to be allergic to plant pollen, many cats, roses (as in if I touched a rose to my face, my face blew up).  I took an antihistamine every day. 
When I had to go gluten free, I stopped needing an antihistamine.

Join eNewsletter

I find this interesting. I had an allergic reaction to something (never did pinpoint the exact trigger but it was between a couple of things I'd never had before and am not likely to ever encounter again). Since that was my first time getting actual hives, it was the first time I ever went to an allergist. They did pinprick tests on the most common allergens and the only one that came back as a definite positive was grass. I had always suspected that I was allergic to grass, but that was my first actual confirmation of it.

I don't have a celiac diagnosis, but I do have gluten ataxia and I have also found myself kind of wondering if my grass allergy could somehow be connected to my gluten sensitivity. I have the most trouble when I'm around freshly cut grass.

Join eNewsletter