Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

rpayne88

Explaining Celiac to my mom (again)

Rate this topic

So, yesterday I ate some cookies labeled "gluten free" that contained oats (I forgot that manufacturers can use oats in gluten-free products) and promptly started experiencing an immune response.  For some reason, when I eat gluten, I get constipated in addition to all the other "normal" symptoms.  Today, I have been preforming a colon cleanse to flush all the gluten out of my gut.  

While I was in the bathroom, my mom came home and started complaining that I ate "just a little gluten" and that I was taking too long.  What really POs me is the fact that she herself has Celiac.  She got lucky.  Her symptoms appear much milder than either my own or my former boss (who owns a gluten free restaurant.)  How can I drive it into her head that gluten, especially when you can not clear it from your system without a laxative, is both extremely painful and causes (potentially permanent) damage to my body.  

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Ouch!  I really feel your pain.  It is very frustrating, sad, and lonely when your close relatives simply do not want to hear the truth.  I see that you joined in 2012 and are still having this issue.  I'm guessing your Mother will never really hear you.  (So very sorry.)

Only 1 of my close relatives has been tested for Celiac.  The rest of my relatives simply do not want to hear it. When I try to explain Celiac to them, I can see that they are shutting down their ears and minds.

Sometimes it is best if we can just "let it go".  Most likely, you've already tried your best to communicate your needs.  It's easier said than done; but maybe you just need to "let it go"?  Again, so sorry.

Join eNewsletter