Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
BarryC

Gluten and inability to lose weight?

Rate this topic

Has anyone found that ditching the gluten helped speed up weight loss, combined with calories restriction and exercise? The info I am finding says that gluten inflames the intestines which can contribute to obesity. Also gluten containing carbs are a problem for some. Thanks!

Problem is if you eat processed gluten free foods you will gain weight.  Eat clean (meats, fish, veggies, fruit, and limited gluten-free carbs such as potatos) and exercise and you will lose weight.

Thanks Pinky, will do!

I actually gained weight after going gluten free, and I eat little to no processed food.  But prior to diagnosis I was underweight because I could  not finish a meal, I never cleaned a plate or even consumed many ounces of my meal.   Every meal had gluten and most of the time I would get sick a few bits in.  Now I can actually eat and finish a meal and am probably consuming more calories than I ever have in my life.    Now I wish I could loose some of what I have put on, but I figure this is probably where I should have been all along and I stopped fighting it.