Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
Scott Adams

Study/Research - Did it take five years (or more) following the onset of symptoms before you received your diagnosis of celiac disease?

Rate this topic

Heidi Maxwell has asked me to post this on her behalf:

Did it take five years (or more) following the onset of symptoms before you received your diagnosis of celiac disease????? Are you over the age of 25 and willing to share your experience?

Please contact me at 707-474-8487 or celiacstudy@outlook.com and see below for more information about this exciting opportunity.

My name is Heidi Maxwell, and I am currently seeking participants for my study about the emotional sequelae associated with the experience of severe unexplained symptoms of celiac disease over extended period of time.

Willing participants must be 25 and over with a medically confirmed diagnosis of celiac disease for which the diagnosis was not confirmed for at least 5 years following the onset of symptoms. Participants must be able and willing to participate in a 60-90 minute in-person or skype interview. Participation will contribute to the literature about the impact of misdiagnosis and delayed diagnosis on psychological well-being.

The risk of participating in this study is that it could bring up memories of experiences that are emotionally triggering. However, the benefit is that you will have an opportunity to share your experience to inform medical and mental health practice.

This study is voluntary and all information kept strictly confidential. You may withdraw at any time without penalty. There is no compensation for your participation. However, your efforts will make lasting contributions in the field of psychology.

This study has been implemented as part of the requirements for completing my doctoral degree in clinical psychology, and the study has been approved by the National University Institutional Review Board. This study is being supervised by Dr. Peter Van Oot, dissertation committee chair and a faculty member at John F. Kennedy University.

Please feel free to extend this invitation to anyone you know who may be interested.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at 707-474-8487 or celiacstudy@outlook.com