Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Gluten_free_01

A friend of mine has Autoimmune Thrombocytopenia - possible link to Celiac Disease?

Rate this topic

A friend of mine has Autoimmune Thrombocytopenia. 

I doubt she has ever been tested for celiac properly, if at all.

Questions:

1. There seems to be a link between autoimmune diseases, so did anyone have thrombocytopenia and later found out you had Celiac/NCGS? Can t./low platelet count be a symptom of celiac, in fact?

2. Have your symptoms resolved on the gluten free diet? Is the platelet count normal now?

3. Would it make sense for her to get tested for celiac? If so, how do I tell her? I know that outside of this forum, not eating gluten tends to be viewed as a crazy thing. I know for sure that she does eat gluten.

Thank you.

12 hours ago, Gluten_free_01 said:

A friend of mine has Autoimmune Thrombocytopenia. 

I doubt she has ever been tested for celiac properly, if at all.

Questions:

1. There seems to be a link between autoimmune diseases, so did anyone have thrombocytopenia and later found out you had Celiac/NCGS? Can t./low platelet count be a symptom of celiac, in fact?

2. Have your symptoms resolved on the gluten free diet? Is the platelet count normal now?

3. Would it make sense for her to get tested for celiac? If so, how do I tell her? I know that outside of this forum, not eating gluten tends to be viewed as a crazy thing. I know for sure that she does eat gluten.

Thank you.

Gluten_free_01,

Their has been limited research as to their connection.

Here is an research article that might help answer some of your questions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1785098/

It reviews the "Hematologic manifestations of celiac disease".

here is the summary of their research on the topic.

Quoting the relevant section

Thrombocytopenia and thrombocytosis

"Thrombocytopenia has rarely been reported in patients with celiac disease and may be autoimmune in nature.7277 Thrombocytopenia associated with celiac disease has been reported in association with keratoconjunctivitis and choroidopathy, suggesting an autoimmune pathophysiology.73,74 The best therapy for thrombocytopenia in association with celiac disease is uncertain, given the rarity of the problem, but a GFD may result in normalization of the platelet count in some cases.72

Thrombocytosis in association with celiac disease appears to be more common than thrombocytopenia, occurring in up to 60% of patients.7881 The exact etiology of the thrombocytosis is unknown but it may be secondary to inflammatory mediators or, in some cases, secondary to iron-deficiency anemia or functional hyposplenia.82 The thrombocytosis may resolve after institution of a GFD.79,80"

End of quote

I had a friend who had the same problem and once researched this same topic I don't think I ever convinced them that Celiac might be the cause?

Once a Celiac I find you tend to the find the same diagnosis in all your friends but what I did find was  a Vitamin K connection to healthy Platelet's.

See this livestrong article about the connection.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/357660-thrombocytopenia-vitamin-k/

And Celiac's are often low in many vitamins and minerals and all too often these deficiency's are not addressed properly.

He/she/they probably has a problem with bruising easily and Vitamin K might can/could help with this symptom.

**** this is not medical advice but I hope it is helpful.

good luck on your search/research in helping your friend.

I hope you have better luck than me.

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

posterboy by the grace of God,

• Upvote 1