• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

chrissy

We Can See Improvement!

Rate this topic

i know i said that my girls didn't really have symptoms, so it was going to be hard to tell if we were doing the diet right. what was i thinking----one of my twins has been nauseated for about 3 months. i don't know how many times she came to me in tears because she felt so lousy, or i had to pick her up from school. yesterday i asked her if she was starting to feel better and she said YES!!!! i guess i didn't think it was caused by celiac because it started the week she had an endo and biopsy (for bad reflux). at the time we didn't have any reason to suspect celiac in ANY of our kids, so the doctor wasn't looking for it. she had esophageal thrush, but the nausea just never went away after treatment.. i also have asked my 10 year old with the leg pains if she is still having trouble and she said she hasn't noticed---so it must be improving.(i hope) my other twin with the rashes and depression does not seem to be improving yet. i worry about her because she looks sick, is very thin, always cold and guite often has blue lips.

christine

I'm so glad some of your kids are feeling better.

Your daughter's blue lips worries me. What has her doctor said about that? It sounds like it may be a symptom of something more related to blood circulation or the lungs maybe? I think I've heard that sometimes it's a symptoms of anemia. Has she been tested for anemia lately?

Yay, improvement is really good.

we haven't talked to the doctor about her blue lips----it only seems tohappen if she is cold, but she is cold so much of the time........her iron was checked the same day her blood was drawn for the celiac screen---she is not anemic. we will be seeing the ped gi with all three girls next week----i guess i better start writing down everything i need to ask since my brain is like a sieve.

christine

Do I understand correctly that you said your daughter was having leg pain? We have been mystified by my daughters health for several months now. She has complained unceasingly of "growing pains" in her joints. Behind her knees is bad, her neck hurts, her arms, etc. Then she started saying her stomach hurt all the time. It go so bad that she was laying around a lot, pale and listless. My son has confirmed celiac, but I hadn't really suspected her until she had a weird incident around Christmas. She went to a party, ate cookies and ended up in the hospital that night. She only threw up twice during the whole escipade, but she was kept all night and given an IV, they checked all kinds of stuff, but couldn't find anything. Since then, we decided to take her off gluten and see what happened. It has been over two weeks now. Her daily complaints about stomach and joints ceased by day 3! She has been feeling better and better. I guess she has it too. She is six. I wondered if joint pain was a typical symptom. Then, my son (he is two and a half), was glutened last night. We were at a family function and he was somehow contaminated by a little cousin with a grilled cheese! He woke up at midnight crying, itching, screaming, gas, and runny diapers. When he calmed down a bit, he told me his knees hurt! He went on and on about it. He has never done that before. Is leg pain a common problem? Just wondered. . .

i pretty new at this, so i don't know if it is common or not. molly has complained about her legs for quite awhile. usually she says they feel numb, but i think she is having a hard time giving me a good description of what she is feeling. she also has complained about stomach aches off and on. someone else on the board--can't remember who--told me that they got those same kind of leg symptoms.

christine

[ My Daughter used to always complain of leg pains in her shin bones but I am tryingto think if she has done that since going gluten free in September and I don't thinnk she has. she no longer feels nausetated all the time. she has no more problems breathing. i am beginning to think that the breathing was from bloating and not necessarily asthma or something like that. good skin. Lots of energy and happy. Oh yeah all three of my girls grew aobut half and inch in the first month!!!! It is amazing the havoc gluten can wreak on a body. Deb

I am a nursing mom and I went on a gluten-free diet in September to treat my daughter's horrible GI issues, which I suspected to be celiac. She has improved tremendously. We have no history of celiac in the family, but a lot of people with possible symptoms on both sides of the family. I was suspecting my husband was the gene carrier because he and his brother are Type 1 diabetics. I now think it may come from me. I have had terrible joint pain all of my life. I would wake up screaming with "growing pains" as a child. I was tested for RA and no one could figure out why I was hurting, so I just learned to live with it. Since I went on the gluten-free diet for my daughter, the pains are gone!!!! I couldn't believe it. It's the first time in 29 years I haven't had to deal with it.