This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lists?

happy4dolphins

happy4dolphins Enthusiast

Does anyone have a list of celiac "words" to stay away from? I"ve been making a list of them so far, but if someone else had already done it, I'd quit.

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

You mean ingredients to avoid? Look here:

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-09106100712.ea

FairySprinkle Rookie

Hi, I am looking for a list myself also. I just printed out the link with the ingredients. I am not diagnosed, yet, but I want to follow a gluten-free diet. I think I have an intolerance to gluten, but not celiac disease. We have Cream of Wheat, and I used to eat Wheat Germ with Yogurt. Since wheat is mentioned as a gluten, does that mean that for someone like me who notices that gluten food affects me, that wheat will actually do the same thing as gluten? Do you know what I mean?

My case is that I develop horrible, horrible acne or annoying tiny pimples after eating stuff with gluten. I am still keeping a food journal. I don't know if I make sense what I am asking. Is wheat really the same as gluten? Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I am so new and trying to absorb the gluten-free diet. It's going to be a challenge following a gluten-free diet that I almost think I will have nothing to eat :).

Also is there a small booklet out there that I could carry with me to watch out for gluten ingredients?

cgilsing Enthusiast

Hi FS and welcome!

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley that is harmful to people with celiac disease. So if you ever see wheat, rye, or barley on an ingredient list then it is NOT gluten free. The problem in identifying non-gluten-free products is that at this point in time companies are not required to list those ingredients by name. A lot of time they will "hide" them in names like modified food starch, natural flavors, or spices. There are a few companies that will always list these ingredients by name (Kraft for instance). If you ever have a question about a particular food, you can call the company and 99% of the time they can clear it up for you. You mentioned that you have a skin reaction to gluten. You should see your doctor, but just so you know there is a name for skin reactions like you are descrbing. Dermatitis Herpetiformis is very common and there is a thread on this board that deals exclusively with it. I hope this helps!

Christine

FairySprinkle Rookie

Hi, thank you for explaining. I think I am going to go to a bookstore and see if I can find a book about gluten. If you recommend one, please let me know.

I learned about DH yesterday, and I read the description plus viewed pictures, but it's nothing like that. Does not look like blisters. It looks like acne, but can grow bigger in diameter, always with embarrassing pus that I get rid of with an extractor. It's so gross. It looks like a disorder. I just started to keep a log and I tried eating crackers (it has wheat and barley malt) for two days after not eating it for a long time for fear I would develop acne as I knew, and sure enough I got bad acne like 5 both mornings, especially near my ear which isn't common. So, I am noticing a pattern, especially with soup..ewww.

I was just thinking yesterday, how there should be a law to ban gluten. Reading about it and my reactions to it doesn't sound safe for ANYONE.

Could I ask you, since this is new to me :D, would I find plenty of food to eat that's gluten in the store or will I have to shop at a health food store for other things? How was your experience? Of course, you can keep the story short if you like. The next time I have to go grocery shopping, I will be reading labels :D . I am only worried I won't find much. Probably spend a little more time, but I don't care.

It's funny because everytime I see something that may contain gluten, I get this reaction inside and vision of acne erupting. I thought about this with the Cream of Wheat until now I am certain that it is best to avoid it. It's like your body has an instinct to food that won't do you good.

cgilsing Enthusiast

Hi FS!

I myself haven't read it :ph34r: , but eveybody says that dangerous grains is the best book out there! Apparently it really explains a lot about how glutn affects your body.

If you petition to outlaw gluten I will support you 100%! :lol: In the meantime though, you can still enjoy food on a gluten-free diet :) I remember the night I was diagnosed.....I really thought my life was over! I sat on the floor in front of my cabinet and cried! I didn't have a single thing I could cook for dinner! My husband took pity on me and grilled me a piece of corn on the cob for dinner :lol: It took a long time for me to really get used to what I CAN eat, but eventually I figured it out. You don't have to shop at the health food store. I live in a rural town and we don't have health food stores and I make it! Some things are nice to get from them if you can. Treats like cookies, biscotti, and crackers are always good finds. I also order my pasta and hamburger buns online (Tinkyada pasta is the BEST and Kinnickinnick makes really good hamburger buns!), but other than that I cook with ingredients that I buy at the grocery store. Fresh fruits and veggies are always gluten-free. Kraft products always list wheat, rye, or barley in their ingredients and then just call if you have questions about anything else. After a while you know what you can and can't have for the most part. It is hardest in the beginning.....as time goes on it just becomes routine! Good luck!

FairySprinkle Rookie

That was funny about the corn on the cob. I just read that Quaker Oats isn't exaclty gluten-free, so I am like...maybe I can have a boiled eggs? Mixed fruits. Fruits heals my skin and glows. My acne is not that bad with oats as with other things though, so I'll figure it out--but I know something's not right with gluten or wheat, etc. Thanks to Heaven I can buy at the grocery store *exhales.* I wouldn't mind buying bread or some special things online if I have to. Well, thank you, and thank you for the book--it sounds so interesting by the topic alone lol. Sounds like the book I would read. I ask the Lord to guide me and others into banning gluten. Who knows? Prayers can set off a reaction for this to happen. Well, thank you for your kind posts. God Bless you. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived