This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glidian?

NOBREAD4ME

NOBREAD4ME Rookie

Monday 3/6/2006 I saw my doctor to read results of a stool/saliva test I sent through the mail. Anyways, she said that I had Celiac because 15+ on thwe Glidian was bad and I was 18, also my small intestine is inflamed and there is blood in my stool. :( Been gluten-free since Tuesday 3/7/06 (would of done it Monday but I was getting blood work) still feel like !@#*. Not sure what to think and kinda scared. How serious is the gluten-free thing, I have not eatten ANYTHING with G in it but I still have to cook for my hubby and kids, ya know. Advice would be greatly excepted. When does it get better?

P>S> I don't usually have D, but have had it all night. I cheated my 3 wk allergen diet w/ cheese. Could that be the culprit? Also I have had a lot of potatos the last few nights due to lack of dinner choices, could that do it.

I need lots of advice from some veterans gluten-free'ers :) PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks,

S

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frenchiemama Collaborator

Gliadin is the protien found in wheat. Gluten is just a generic name for the protiens found in grains, the specific names are gliadin for wheat, hordien for barley, avenin for oats, and secalin for rye.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Monday 3/6/2006 I saw my doctor to read results of a stool/saliva test I sent through the mail. Anyways, she said that I had Celiac because 15+ on thwe Glidian was bad and I was 18, also my small intestine is inflamed and there is blood in my stool. :( Been gluten-free since Tuesday 3/7/06 (would of done it Monday but I was getting blood work) still feel like !@#*. Not sure what to think and kinda scared. How serious is the gluten-free thing, I have not eatten ANYTHING with G in it but I still have to cook for my hubby and kids, ya know. Advice would be greatly excepted. When does it get better?

P>S> I don't usually have D, but have had it all night. I cheated my 3 wk allergen diet w/ cheese. Could that be the culprit? Also I have had a lot of potatos the last few nights due to lack of dinner choices, could that do it.

I need lots of advice from some veterans gluten-free'ers :) PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks,

S

Yep, gliandin's the protein in wheat. But you also need to avoid barley, rye, and oats. It may take a while for you to feel better, so you need to be patient on that front. And vigilent to avoid hidden gluten like barley malt in most cereals and the wheat in most soy sauces and so on. It is vital that you are 100% gluten free - the autoimmune response that gluten induces which damages your intestines only takes one little recognition of gluten by your body to start the chemical cascade. So you can't share toasters with your non-gluten-free family (the crumbs will hurt you) and you'll need a new collander (it's next to impossible to get out pasta residue from plastic collanders) and you can't share in-use silverware (such as for stirring pots).

Quite frankly, I'm of the opinion that your family doesn't *need* to eat gluten. My husband and I do just find with me cooking everything gluten free. Of course, when he eats out, or makes something for himself, he often has something with gluten, but I'm not going to cook something I can't eat, or cook something I could contaminate myself with. I do make gluten free things that he likes, but you can make almost anything gluten free.

Take some time to read the safe/unsafe list on this site (under the 'site index' section. And to read through the boards. And to read whatever else you can find. Take some time to think about how you want to change your diet - what substitutes you want to find, what shifts you want to make, etc. (For instance, I don't bother with bread any more - it's not worth the expense for a taste I don't find appealing. So I found other things to take to lunch - mostly leftovers. :-) ) Right now, it seems overwhelming, and like a huge change. And it is. But four months from now, it will be easier. There's a lot of hard work between here and there, but you will get there!

Archived