Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
2 2
vvicin02

Intermittent Abdominal Cramps for Five Days!

Rate this topic

I have been gluten-free for almost 2.5 years and have hardly ever experienced any abdominal pain from cross contamination or intestinal flu. However, for 5 days now,  I have experience intermittent abdominal pain with occasional trips to the bathroom. I have tried to eliminate certain foods which did not help. I am at my wits end. I feel perfectly fine with good appetite but as soon as I eat I get some stomach pain with gas shortly after. It passes but it seems to linger. Could this be some kind of viral thing or is it some intolerance or gluten exposure.  I was recently but on statin (crestor) and was told to come off it for a week to see it improves (so far no change). I am a asymptomatic celiac (at least I used to be). Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

1 hour ago, vvicin02 said:

I have been gluten-free for almost 2.5 years and have hardly ever experienced any abdominal pain from cross contamination or intestinal flu. However, for 5 days now,  I have experience intermittent abdominal pain with occasional trips to the bathroom. I have tried to eliminate certain foods which did not help. I am at my wits end. I feel perfectly fine with good appetite but as soon as I eat I get some stomach pain with gas shortly after. It passes but it seems to linger. Could this be some kind of viral thing or is it some intolerance or gluten exposure.  I was recently but on statin (crestor) and was told to come off it for a week to see it improves (so far no change). I am a asymptomatic celiac (at least I used to be). Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

I just realized that I have been sprinkling chia seeds on my granola and toast every morning. Could this be the issue?

Yes, chia seeds could be the issue. Your GI system is not used to that amount of fiber on a gluten free diet. Chia seeds are extremely high in fiber. I got exactly the same symptoms when I started eating a home made fiber mixture of coconut, hazelnuts, walnuts and sunflower seeds on my yoghurt every morning. I had to slowly get my GI system used to the increased fiber intake.
Go easy on the seeds and gradually increase your fiber intake.

If the doctor mention IBS, run.