This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Best Ever Beans And Rice Meal

Lynxear

Lynxear Rookie

I have been looking for a good rice/beans recipe for a long time. Most that I have tried combined the rice and beans, alright but they were tasteless. This dish is soooooooo tasty you will want to make it again, again and again!!!

Here is the basic recipe (I modified it ....later on that)

*************************************************************************************

West Indian Rice and Beans

2 1/2 cups (about) canned vegetable broth

1 15- to 16-ounce can kidney beans, drained

1 cup canned unsweetened regular or light coconut milk

1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeño chili

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

3/4 cup medium-grain white rice

1 cup thinly sliced green onions

Combine 2 cups vegetable broth, kidney beans, coconut milk, minced jalapeño chili, thyme and allspice in heavy large saucepan. Bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat. Stir in rice. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer mixture uncovered until most of liquid is absorbed and rice is almost tender, stirring often, about 20 minutes.

Mix 3/4 cup green onions into rice. Continue to simmer until rice is very tender and mixture is creamy, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture seems dry, about 5 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup green onions and serve.

Serves 2.

Bon Appétit

March 1997

***********************************************************************************

Serves 2!!! I have a big appetite and there is enough for 3 people easily as a main dish....serves 4 as a companion dish for say baked chicken.

My changes

1. Substituted chicken broth for vegetable broth

2. Chili Garlic sauce from Huy Fong Foods Inc. (one tablespoon)...it is one of those deadly red chili sauces made of Chili, distilled vinegar, garlic, salt, potassium sorbate, and sodium bisulfite instead of the seeded jalapeno chili.

3. used 1/4 tsp of ground cumin instead of allspice

4. Thawed 15 frozen cooked shrimp and added to the pot along with the green oinion.

5. I added all of the broth at once rather than a little at a time....I don't like trying to mix it in a little at a time later and it stayed moist. After the cooking time....I covered the pot and let is cool down before eating....

6. add lots of pepper and a little salt before eating.....yummmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

Hope you like this as much as I did.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Matilda Enthusiast

Cheri A Contributor

Thank you! Looks great!! I will put that on my list of things to try!!

jenvan Collaborator

Love beans and rice ;)

Archived