This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hello, I Have Question

juve

juve Newbie

hello guys, this is my first post.

i have been gluten free for agout 5 years, however i started eating gluten, because i am in college idon't have time to cook. i want to stop now. and i have been eating for about 3 months. can i get back on track. or is there an unrepareble damage done to me. can some please help. i am afraid i made a mistake and i want to fix it. is ther still a chance to clean my system from gluten. or the harm has been done.

thank for you help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I assume you were off gluten because of celiac disease or a gluten intolerance. I am just curious, are you feeling bad? I would feel so bad after three months that I would hardly be able to get out of bed!!

Anyway, if you do have celiac or gluten intolerance, you should stop eating it immediately before you do get irreparable damage. Whatever damage you have done should heal.

Try Amy's frozen meals, the ones that are gluten-free are marked. I also eat a very strange meal that my husband and 18 year old daughter also love ... but they would never admit to it other than to me for fear of the comments they would get. I usually make it for lunch because I don't like to cook just for myself - cottage cheese, frozen blueberries, sunflower seeds and flax seeds. I will put some canned red salmon on the side. Probably not good for someone trying to lose weight!

Carla

tarnalberry Community Regular

yes, you can get 'back on the wagon'. you may need to do some 'minimal' cooking to reduce your chance of contamination, but making hardboiled eggs isn't too hard, and fresh fruit doesn't take much work either. the other suggestions of finding things that are easy to find and gluten-free are helpful, and while I'm not a lot of help there, the others on this board have a lot of good ideas. I believe the delphi board has a useful file as well.

juve Newbie
I assume you were off gluten because of celiac disease or a gluten intolerance. I am just curious, are you feeling bad? I would feel so bad after three months that I would hardly be able to get out of bed!!

Anyway, if you do have celiac or gluten intolerance, you should stop eating it immediately before you do get irreparable damage. Whatever damage you have done should heal.

Try Amy's frozen meals, the ones that are gluten-free are marked. I also eat a very strange meal that my husband and 18 year old daughter also love ... but they would never admit to it other than to me for fear of the comments they would get. I usually make it for lunch because I don't like to cook just for myself - cottage cheese, frozen blueberries, sunflower seeds and flax seeds. I will put some canned red salmon on the side. Probably not good for someone trying to lose weight!

Carla

well not really, i don't feel bad, i discoverd that i had celiac when i was 15, so there wasn't the much of damage done. i want to stop, but still eat. i will try to stop. i will try and see these frozen meals. i hope king soopes have them or safeway.

thanks alot for you help, that is good news.

yes, you can get 'back on the wagon'. you may need to do some 'minimal' cooking to reduce your chance of contamination, but making hardboiled eggs isn't too hard, and fresh fruit doesn't take much work either. the other suggestions of finding things that are easy to find and gluten-free are helpful, and while I'm not a lot of help there, the others on this board have a lot of good ideas. I believe the delphi board has a useful file as well.

i will try to help my self, i will find a way to cook something to eat for a week.

thanks alot.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I guess in some ways I'm lucky I have such immediate symptoms ... I would find it very difficult to stay strictly on the diet if I still felt fine! Of course, I don't know that I would have ever found out I had it. But you are doing damage even if you don't have the symptoms. Good luck with returning to the diet. I would guess it would be even more difficult in college.

Guest nini

if you have McDonalds, Wendy's, or Chik Fil A near you, you can look up their gluten-free menu's on their websites and keep a copy of it with you, then you can get quick meals or snacks there...

yes if you have Celiac you are still doing damage even if you don't have symptoms, but the beauty is, if you go back on the diet immediately, you can possibly reverse any damage you have done so far.

if you have microwave access you def. have a lot of options, get Tostitos or Mission Corn Chips or Santitas corn chips and Kraft shredded cheese and make nachos, you can top those with Old El Paso refried beans, Daisy sour cream and Pace Picante Sauce. Dinty Moore makes beef stew in those little microwaveable lunch buckets, and Hormel has a Beanies and Weanies that is also gluten-free...

Salads are always an easy option, you can top them with tuna fish, Hormel Pepperoni, or just about anything else your heart desires as long as it's gluten-free. There are so many mainstream products that are naturally gluten free, so you really don't have to do a lot of cooking.

I like to do hot dogs in the microwave and wrap them in Mission Corn Tortillas with a slice of Kraft American Cheese and mustard (French's is gluten-free) Oscar Meyer beef hot dogs are gluten-free and so are Boars Head hot dogs. (I use Applegate Farms, but that brand may be difficult for you to fiind)

here is a crazy little snack that I've been told is just a southern thing, but I think it's really yummy, drain a can of sliced pears (in light syrup) and place in a bowl, put a spoonful of Helleman's real mayonnaise on that and then top with a sprinkling of Kraft shredded cheddar cheese! Yeah it's weird, but it's pretty good.

Also, the Fruit Roll Ups distributed by General Mills are gluten-free and a good quick snack when you can't get a meal, I always keep some in my purse for my daughter when we are out...

you really do have a lot of options where you don't have to cook, and you can still stick to the diet, this is very important that you do stick to it, you may not have symptoms now, but if you continue to eat gluten eventually you will get sick again. Since you do have a firm dx of Celiac, do not take this lightly. Good luck and have fun exploring all the great gluten-free foods that you can have!

juve Newbie

thanks for the help guys,

come to think of it. i sometimes get tierd even if i get a good night sleep.

any ways thanks again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived