• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

momothree

Summer Camp

Rate this topic

Well, we decided to send our two oldest kids (one of which has celiac) to summer camp (sleep away) this summer for the first time. I was wondering if anyone has had any positive or negative experiences in this department. After speaking to one of the people that run the camp, she checked with the chef and he said that they would try to accomodate his diet. That was very good news! I'm to call him about 2 weeks before the camp and discuss what things they can or cannot accomodate, and then I can, apparently, send a cooler along for him with items that the camp can't provide. It sounds pretty good. Has anyone sent their child with celiac to sleep away camp, and, if so, is there any advice you can give. I'd like to plan as much in advance as possible, and being aware of any possible pitfalls would sure be helpful. Thanks.

We to are sending our oldest to camp for the firt time this year too. However, we did some research and found a camp just for Celiac disease, so that I didn't have to worry about the food. It'll be fun to come back after camp and discuss the pros and cons of each. If your interested it is http://www.dallasrock.org/gge.htm. My husband has family in Texas so that gave the rest of the family something to do while the oldest is gone. :)

For planning: I would suggest you find a protein bar he likes. We have found lara bars and really like th ose.

Oh, that would be so great to have him go to a camp specifically for kids with celiac. I am a little concerned that he will feel different and perhaps even be treated that way by the other kids. I'll look into some protein bars, that's a good idea--at least I know that he'll be getting something health. I'm looking forward to talking to the chef next month so I can see how they are planning to accomodate him. I don't mind sending some stuff, but if they can handle the majority of it that would be great. A weeks worth of food for a 12 year old boy would mean on extremely large cooler. :D

Our son does this, but we bought the camp a microwave because I didn't like the looks of theirs! We live close enough that I drove food in every 48 hours or so, and they put it in the walk in freezer.

I second the protein bars! Every celiac needs a backup failsafe calorie source! Ask if your son can keep a stash in his luggage, preferably in a locked box (so nobody else can get at them, or contaminate them). My 12 year old loves Genisoy bars (peanut butter, and a yogurt flavored one are gluten-free) and AllerEnerG bars.

I would make up a menu, and be specific as to brand, etc.. I also made a list of basic x-contam issues, glued his photo to it, and they hung this in the kitchen to remind everyone who to be careful with.

Thanks. Some good ideas. I typed us a cover sheet to send with him to camp that summarized celiac disease, and what the specific issues are--hopefully that will help. I also took my son out on a protein bar quest and we managed to find some by Rebar that are gluten free (stated right on the package too--very helpful!), and he loved it, so I guess I'll start stocking up. :)