• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

TCA

Tooth Enamel Defects

Rate this topic

My son has always had bad teeth, some even without enamel in places. We just went to a new dentist today after his old one told me I just needed to brush his teeth more. I always hated going there because he made me feel like it was all my fault and I really do take good care of his teeth. Anyway, I aked the dentist if he understood what Celiac is and he said just what he say on House last night! :D I told him that was an extreme case, but it had a lot of truth in it. He said my son's teeth looked like a child from a 3rd world country's teeth might look from nutritional deficiencies. I explained that now that my son was diagnosed, he seemed to be absorbing much better because of his growth and weight gain.

He's going to have to go to the hospital and be put to sleep to fill them all. I'm dreading it for him, but I hope this will get him to where he needs to be.

Has anyone else had the tooth problem to this extreme at such a young age? Were/are the adult teeth better? Do you have any suggestions beyond the obvious, no sugar, brush often?

check his vitamin/mineral levels and address the deficiencies as much as possible? now that you know he's celiac, I think his second set of teeth can be better, but it may be a wash on the first.

Sorry to hear about the teeth :(

I don't know how old your son is but my son got his first filling at age 3. At that time we didn't realize that the celiac could cause dental issues so we got a lecture about tooth brushing. He's 6 now and still gets cavities all the time. He must have about 8 fillings, the dentist said his teeth aren't even the right texture! I'm hoping that his adult teeth will be better, especially since he's actually absorbing nutrients now.

Good luck to your little one!

( Nevermind, I see he's 3)

Guest cassidy

my teeth came in with enamel problems. I had them sealed when my adult teeth came in and I've never had a cavity. My molars came in with three sides, so they used fillings to close up the holes.

I hope the procedure fixes your son's problems. It isn't your fault, so I hope you don't let the dentist make you feel guilty.

My six year-old son has had about five cavities so far. His baby teeth came in early and so have his adult teeth. He has had sealents applied. At first the dentist gave us a full lecture on dental hygeine, and then he researched Celiac. He applied the sealent extra thick and has plans of closer monitoring.

L.

Thanks for your replies. I asked the dentist what he thought about his adult teeth and he said that the front teeth develop from 0-2 years and the back or molars develop now. Hopefully part of them will be strong!!!

Tarnalberry, I will ask if they can go ahead and run bloodwork while he is at the hospital. He'll be asleep and never know it that way. He's been stuck so many times and it's never pleasant.

I think I'll ask if he can put sealants on the rest of his teeth too.

thanks for the suggestions! :)

Just wanted to pass my empathy on to your little guy. (BTW - he's adorable!) I struggled with cavities all during my childhood - I had 12 cavities at one time once. I wasn't allowed to eat candy, drink pop or anything and brushed my teeth well. I didn't stop getting cavities until I stopped eating wheat 10 years ago. I'm so glad you've figured it out for him. Sealants would have been a miracle for me.