• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jaten

Restaurant Success!

Rate this topic

I ordered the Triumph Dining cards about 6-8 wks ago, but hadn't tried them yet. Last night at the last minute a friend and I decided to eat out. I didn't have any info with me, but I did have my Triumph cards. We went to Chili's and as the waitress brought our drinks and asked if we needed a minute, I used Elonwy's line and said, "I come with instructions," as I handed her the card. She read the card carefully, and said, "Ok, how can I help you?" I told her some things I thought I could have (trying to remember Chili's gluten-free menu items), but asked her to show that to the chef and/or manager whoever could best help me eat safely. In a few minutes she came back with the manager who introduced himself and sat down beside me. He said he wasn't familiar with Celiac, but he thought he had a very clear understanding from the card. I had chicken, shrimp, steamed veggies, and rice. He told the waitress to take notes about my choices, but that he himself was going back to the kitchen to oversee that everything was cooked in clean pans, with clean utensils, or on a clean section of the grill away from other food. He'd already read some ingredient labels before he came out. When the waitress brought my food, she said that the manager kept re-reading ingredients as they cooked, and all had been kept separate. She said, "We even put your rice in a separate bowl, instead of on the plate, since it has some seasoning in it." We think it's safe, but want you to be able to leave it off without contaminating your other food, if you have any question about it.

I did not get sick. It was a great experience! Yes, the ordering process was about me, more than I would like, but then our conversation returned to whatever, and that was the end of the Celiac talk. We had a great meal, and I ate in relative certainty that I would be ok.

I know several of you recently have talked about how to eat out safely. You can't be absolutely certain. But after this experience I think these cards greatly improve your odds. Will I eat out real often? Probably not. But I can do so with confidence. I like the cards, too, because it gives the restaurant staff something to hold on to and read and re-read and take back to the kitchen, etc. Additionally we ate very early. It was 5:00 and nobody in this town eats out that early. The fact that the restaurant staff was relaxed and just beginning their evening shift was also very much in my favor I think.

I have no financial interest in Triumph Dining Cards, just wanted to pass along my experience with this product!

Thanks for sharing your experience with them. I have gone back and forth on whether or not to order these and hadn't made up my mind. I don't eat out that much and if I do, I try to go to PF Changs, Outback or Red Robin. We are going on vacation in 3 weeks, though, and I am bound to run into a restaurant or 2 where these will come in very handy.

Thank you! :)