• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

First, anyone out there that had Enamel Hypoplasia or defects as one of the primary reason they

were diagnosed? If so, I'd like to hear about it.

Second, how is Celiac viewed by mainstream medicine? Are there those doctors out there that

view this as a "qwack" diagnoses? Will my doctor think I'm out of my mind if I bring this up?

Thanks,Jerry

First, anyone out there that had Enamel Hypoplasia or defects as one of the primary reason they

were diagnosed? If so, I'd like to hear about it.

Second, how is Celiac viewed by mainstream medicine? Are there those doctors out there that

view this as a "qwack" diagnoses? Will my doctor think I'm out of my mind if I bring this up?

Thanks,Jerry

to answer the second question: depends entirely on your doctor. really. some doctors know about it, some don't. I brought it up to my doctor (with relatively weak evidence - weaker than yours), but she respected me and my observations about myself and my analytic abilty, so was willing to run the tests without being obviously skeptical. some have had experiences like mine. others here have had trouble with their doctor. it depends on your doctor and your relationship with your doctor. there's no way to know without you asking. (if it makes you feel any better, I hemmed and hawed for weeks over the same fear.)

Hmm, I don't know about Enamel Hypoplasia specifically, but quite a few Celiacs from here have complained about high tooth decay and related issues. My dentist blames Celiac for my own dental issues and she said at my appt last week that my teeth and gums have definitely improved since I was diagnosed. Go figure !

Guest cassidy

Enamel wasn't the primary reason I was diagnosed, but it made my mouth drop open and I couldn't deny it any longer. My mom was diagnosed last September, but she has DH so her symptoms are different than mine. She read me an article and was trying to tell me to get tested. I didn't think much until the enamel part. My morlars came in with holes in them and they needed a protective coating. A few years ago I developed divets in the middle of my bottom front teeth. They had to fill them in and told me not to brush so hard. I did some research and couldn't find another applicable reason for me having this problem.

I don't know about your doctor, but mine willingly tested me. When my results came back negative I had been doing so much better being gluten-free for 3 weeks, he said the test isn't always accurate and agreed with my diagnosis.

I work with doctors and it is sad to say that most of them don't know much about celiac. They always say, how did you find out, were you losing weight? I try to educate them. I don't think any of them see it as a quack diagnosis, I just think most of them are clueless.

If your doctor thinks you are crazy, then I would find another doctor.