• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

dh204

Dh Or Eczema?

Rate this topic

Hey everyone,

I know that I definitely am intolerant to wheat, but I haven't been tested for celiac yet, but I've noticed that I breakout sometimes when I have ingested wheat.

I usually get a bunch of red itchy spots, and they are usually on the elbows, inner arm, or lower leg (near the ankle).

I went to see a doctor a few times and it's always been diagnosed as eczema.

I know that I used to have eczema as a reaction to the differences in water when I travelled back and forth btwn the US and France.

Now I've noticed that the eczema shows up always about 2 weeks or more after I've eaten wheat.

I looked at some pictures online and while it's similar to my eczema, it's not exactly the same.

I wonder if I might have DH, but just a less severe case? For example, the eczema is very very concentrated over a small area, and I get several (about 10 at a time) of small red itchy bumps. The bumps are raised, and it's only red in the middle.

Although a few weeks ago (after I ate wheat) I noticed a new sort of skin reaction, it was very itchy but they were purple/red spots that were not at all raised, it looked kind of like I took a purple/red marker and drew in a bunch of weird spots. However, it went away within 2 days.

If anyone has any advice, I would be most grateful.

You can't really be sure without a biopsy. So, since you *may* have DH, I'd encourage you to get it biopsied 0 that's the easiest way to find out if you have celiac, finding out if you have DH.

Hey everyone,

I know that I definitely am intolerant to wheat, but I haven't been tested for celiac yet, but I've noticed that I breakout sometimes when I have ingested wheat.

I usually get a bunch of red itchy spots, and they are usually on the elbows, inner arm, or lower leg (near the ankle).

I went to see a doctor a few times and it's always been diagnosed as eczema.

I know that I used to have eczema as a reaction to the differences in water when I travelled back and forth btwn the US and France.

Now I've noticed that the eczema shows up always about 2 weeks or more after I've eaten wheat.

I looked at some pictures online and while it's similar to my eczema, it's not exactly the same.

I wonder if I might have DH, but just a less severe case? For example, the eczema is very very concentrated over a small area, and I get several (about 10 at a time) of small red itchy bumps. The bumps are raised, and it's only red in the middle.

Although a few weeks ago (after I ate wheat) I noticed a new sort of skin reaction, it was very itchy but they were purple/red spots that were not at all raised, it looked kind of like I took a purple/red marker and drew in a bunch of weird spots. However, it went away within 2 days.

If anyone has any advice, I would be most grateful.

I've had similar reactions. I was "gluten-lite" for about 9 months, and developed this rash. I cut the gluten out, and, funny enough, the rash has almost dissappeared. I've got a biopsy scheduled for day after tomorrow - I'd sau get yours scheduled ASAP, not so far out there that is dissappears...

It MAY be DH, but without a biopsy, you don't really know. (In the words of my dermo, when asked how she knew it was exzema, not DH, she said [without a biopsy] she "[didn't know]"...

Lil