• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know any way to prevent active disease? I have DQ2 gene & active disease diagnosed 3-15-06. Just found out today my half-sisters have DQ2 and DQ2 & DQ8 (I have 2 half-sisters.) Can we prevent them from getting active disease? One sister had negative antibody test and the other now has to have the antibody test.

Thank you!

Well, as far as I can tell, the ONLY way to prevent active disease, would be to be gluten free! With eating gluten, it is quite likely that they will get celiac disease at some point. Something very stressful or traumatic (accident, viral disease, death in the family......anything that would put a lot of stress on you psychologically/and or physically) would probably trigger celiac disease at some point.

Mind you, a lot of people who think they are symptom free are surprised at annoying 'little' health concerns suddenly disappearing when gluten free. Things they would never have connected with a gluten intolerance. Heck, most doctors wouldn't connect OBVIOUS gluten connected symptoms with celiac disease!