• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

Have been reading about some people changing the dose of their thyroid medication from one day to the next and back to what it was before. I have Hashimoto disease and was just put on Levoxyl again. I am interested in finding out why you would do that.

from what i understand, that usually happens when someone needs more than one dose, but less than the next step up. as in, i'm slightly hypothyroid on .137 mg but hyper on .150. the doctor would then have you alternate to keep your levels optimal. that's what happened to me. i suppose there could be other reasons too.

We did that for about a year with my daughter when she was younger - one dose was too low and the next was too high - we alternated and it worked out great. Her levels were just right.

We did that for about a year with my daughter when she was younger - one dose was too low and the next was too high - we alternated and it worked out great. Her levels were just right.

My dad has hyperthyroid pretty bad...they burned out half of his...he alternated for awhile until he figured out the right combination of vitamins to keep him in check and then weined himself off the meds now he is fine as long as he takes his vitamins everyday...in fact he has put on about 15-20lbs and is looking a little chunky these days. My parents are both nurses so don't try weining yourself of meds without medical supervision of course.

We can never wean her off her meds. She has no function left - completely hypothyroid. She needs the hormone to grow and have normal menstrual cycles.

Yes once HYPERthyroid tissue has been removed or has been treated with radioactive isotopes then it may not require meds. Also adults may be able to experiment. Children should not.

We can never wean her off her meds. She has no function left - completely hypothyroid. She needs the hormone to grow and have normal menstrual cycles.

Yes once HYPERthyroid tissue has been removed or has been treated with radioactive isotopes then it may not require meds. Also adults may be able to experiment. Children should not.

I wasn't suggesting you experiment...I am sorry if you thought I was. I was just tring to suggest different reasons why people alterantate meds.

No problem, I just wanted to clarify that in some types of thyroid conditions (esp in children) - you cant wean them off or use vitamins. I am not as familiar with the hyperthyroid forms and post radiation treatment where that could be an option. I guess with the cyberworld where some might cling to the hope of getting off meds, I like to be clear about the whys and why nots. (at least with my kids).

Sometimes I develop verbal diarrhea and I "over explain" :rolleyes:

Wonder if verbal diarrhea is a symptom of accidental gluten? LOL :D