• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Holly

Hello! A Few Questions...

Rate this topic

Hello :)

I've been on a gluten-free diet for about a month or so now, and my stomach was feeling SO much better - not bloated or hurting or upset at all. However, yesterday, I accidently ate some cous cous without realising it had wheat in it, and now my stomach is swelled up and sore again. I was wondering if anybody knows how long it should take for the gluten to leave my system and for my stomach to feel better again?

:(!! Thanks

You have only been off gluten for a short time so it still could take months to really feel great. But mistakes are common in the beginning, and it could take a few days to a week before you recover from the couscous. But everybody is different in their recovery times.

Usually its anything up to 2 weeks to get it totally out of your system. However, please note that as far as I know, ALL cous cous is made from durum wheat and therefore is not gluten-free. If you're unsure about any food in the future, you'd probabbly be best asking on here as some of the long-time members seem to know more than the doctors :) Hope you're feeling bettre soon. Get well soon x

The gluten itself will be out of your system quite quickly, but the autoimmune reaction that it has catalyzed can go on for up to two weeks. After that reaction has petered out, it will take time for your intestines to heal as well. It really varies from person to person, how long they feel unwell, if they get obvious symptoms. For me, it's about a week, the first three days being distinctly worse than the last four.