• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Stacie H.

Two Days Until A Reaction?

Rate this topic

My DH is not feeling well tonight...crampy, gassy, uncomfortable.

We've been gluten-free for just over a week, and we were seeing some improvement in him. Monday we went to my parents' house for a cookout. It was the first time in over a year that he's felt well enough to eat anywhere else but our house. My parents cooked hamburgers/hotdogs, and while I suggested he just have a hamburger patty w/ no bun, DH was stubborn and insisted that one bun wouldn't hurt him.

He's an adult, so what could I do? Could he be sick now because of something he ate 2 days ago? I know that around here, we've been totally gluten-free since going to my parents' house, so it's nothing he ate here.

If so, I hope this will be a lesson for him!! He has not been tested yet, but I'm certain now that he has a gluten-tolerance issue.

Hi, and welcome to this board. Yes, he could definitely get a reaction two days later! Sometimes it takes me a whole week for the diarrhea to start after getting glutened. A lot of people get a delayed reaction. A whole bun contains a lot of gluten, even a crumb could have caused a reaction.

Very rarely do I have a reaction w/in hours of eating something that has hidden gluten. Usually it's 24 hours which makes it harder to pinpoint the cuplrit. I know you are frustrated at your dh for doing this to himself, but it's a very natural reaction in the first stages of coping with celiac. (been there, done that. )After awhile he will equate the forbidden items with stomach distress and realize that the pleasure of eating the wrong things is greatly outweighed by the problems they cause.

Annette

Hello, I have been sick since I was 7. In January of 2005 I stopped eating wheat and gluten. I noticed the difference immedietly. In the begining I to sometimes would not get a reaction for at least 24 hours. Now its an immediete reaction. His tloerence is higher now than it will be. He will notice the difference. He has to stick with it. This disease is deadly if not taken care of. I am 30 years old and now know i will be able to have children one day. This disease was killing me slowly and unoticed. Its very challenging but it will all come together. Good Luck

My DH is not feeling well tonight...crampy, gassy, uncomfortable.

We've been gluten-free for just over a week, and we were seeing some improvement in him. Monday we went to my parents' house for a cookout. It was the first time in over a year that he's felt well enough to eat anywhere else but our house. My parents cooked hamburgers/hotdogs, and while I suggested he just have a hamburger patty w/ no bun, DH was stubborn and insisted that one bun wouldn't hurt him.

He's an adult, so what could I do? Could he be sick now because of something he ate 2 days ago? I know that around here, we've been totally gluten-free since going to my parents' house, so it's nothing he ate here.

If so, I hope this will be a lesson for him!! He has not been tested yet, but I'm certain now that he has a gluten-tolerance issue.