Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have been gluten free for 3 months. Unfortunately I feel no better, actually even worse. My symptoms are all neurological. At the same time I have been taking some high quality gluten free supplements. Among them is L-glutamine powder. Today I was made aware that in spite of its use in leaky gut, l-glutamine might be a BIG problem for celiacs with neurological problems. Is that maybe why I have continued to feel so badly?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I had totally positive saliva and stool tests, with 2 celiac genes and mild malabsorption. I have been gluten/dairy/egg and soy free for 3 months. Unfortunately I feel no better, actually even worse. My symptoms are all neurological (panic, anxiety, agitation, dizziness, neuropathy, sweats) At the same time I have been taking some high quality gluten free supplements. Among them is L-glutamine powder. Today I was made aware that in spite of its use in leaky gut, l-glutamine might be a BIG problem for celiacs with neurological problems. Is that maybe why I have continued to feel so AWFUL??!!! This is getting really hard.

Anybody really knowledgeable on this? Thanks!

I hope someone knows, because I've been using L-glutamine for a very long time.

Negative biopsy for celiac 1980

Fibromyalgia 1980

IBS 1980

Interstitial Cystitis 1992

Systemic yeast

Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000

Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000

Tachycardia 2001

Asthma 2005

Have had Lyme and babesia for

about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06

Native TEXAN living in Missouri

Earlier posts caution that people with neurological problems should avoid it. No one is specific about why, but the caution is mentioned repeatedly in different threads. I couldn't find anything about it being dangerous online except possible liver and kidney complications. I hope someone who knows more finds this.

Earlier posts caution that people with neurological problems should avoid it. No one is specific about why, but the caution is mentioned repeatedly in different threads. I couldn't find anything about it being dangerous online except possible liver and kidney complications. I hope someone who knows more finds this.

anybody?

Negative biopsy for celiac 1980

Fibromyalgia 1980

IBS 1980

Interstitial Cystitis 1992

Systemic yeast

Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000

Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000

Tachycardia 2001

Asthma 2005

Have had Lyme and babesia for

about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06

Native TEXAN living in Missouri

this has been discussed before, but just so you know, when i started taking it, my liver enzymes shot from nearly normal up to 800 and i was hospitalized. when i went off it, they immediately went down (not to normal, but to about 150). there was definitely a correlation.

(below 40 is normal).

Gluten-free, Vegan

this has been discussed before, but just so you know, when i started taking it, my liver enzymes shot from nearly normal up to 800 and i was hospitalized. when i went off it, they immediately went down (not to normal, but to about 150). there was definitely a correlation.

(below 40 is normal).

I tried to read most of the former posts on the subject. It didn't sound like all celiacs were at risk taking it. It just sounded like it was a problem for those with neurological issues because it acted as a brain excitotoxin. I brought it up again because I was just wondering if someone knew a little more about the specifics of it and whether a person like me with panic and anxiety might want to steer clear of it. I'm trying to find out why I'm still so terribly agitated and anxious, though gluten free. Just thought the l-glutamine might be a clue.