This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help What Am I Doing Wrong?!

aprilh

aprilh Apprentice

Someone please help! I don't know what I am eating. My husband grilled some chicken and used some herbs from the garden, salt & pepper and olive oil. Fresh green beans from the garden cooked with potatos and chicken broth (Pacific Foods), Steamed spinach with a drizzle of olive oil. Today for lunch I ate this and 2 hours later had reaction. So tonight for dinner I ate some watermelon, 1/2 baked pot plain, then around 11:00 because I was starving ate 1/2 pc of that chicken. I woke up 2 hours later wired, could not sleep, itching. Could it be the grill? Could the grill have remants of gluten on it? I couldn't be allergic to organic chicken right? I was fine until I ate the chicken.

Also, I read a lot about a newbie section. Where is that on the website? I also learned that products that say they are gluten free can have a little bit of gluten in them? I am so confused and need help! I cannot take these glutenings anymore. I have to eat to keep up my mineral levels and if I get glutened everytime then my mineral levels seem to drop (eye twitch).

Does anyone else have these types of symptoms: dizzy, Cold flash, eye twitches, tummy grumble (although I don't get the D), wierd pains, muscle spasms, brain fog, concentration problems, stomach bloat. My symptoms seem to be more wierd than most.

I am waiting on my blood test from the allergist although it has been 2 weeks! I have decided to go gluten free anyway. I can't seem to get a dr to help me or take the time to understand. Anyone live in Charlotte NC that knows a good Dr? Going to the acupuncturist on Thursday in a desperate attempt for someone to help me. Should I see an endocrinologist? Should I order the Enterolab test?

Sorry this is so long and with so many questions! Thanks in advance for any help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

samking72 Rookie

It very well could have been the chicken. You should grill it on top of aluminum foil and away from the other food on the grill to avoid cross contamination. The symptoms that you listed are (what seems to me) "normal." I'll get alot of them as well. My weirdest one is white flecks on my fingernails. I heard somewhere that was related to Celiac. Some non-food things to stay away from are envelope glue, styrofoam and wooden cuttings boards, spoons, ect. Gluten is hiding everywhere. You just have to be careful. It's time consuming and a pain in the you know what, but anything is better than getting sick. Hope everything works out and you find a great doctor!!

- Samantha FL

Guest cassidy

My first thought is the grill. Have you ever marinated with anything that has gluten in it like soy sauce or teriyaki? If some of that was on the grill, that could have gotten on the chicken. When I went gluten-free we scrubbed the heck out of our grill and grill tools and now we never use gluten on the grill. Trust your body, if you get sick from something stop eating it immediately and don't eat it again. It may not be clear at the time what got you sick, but don't chance it.

If you have only been gluten-free for a few weeks then your body has a lot of healing to do. It took me two weeks to even realize when I was glutened because I still wasn't feeling good. In the beginning I would react to safe foods I think just because my systemw as such a mess from eating gluten all the time. Then I glutened myself a lot in the beginning. Have you checked all of your bathroom products? There are so many places gluten can be that it takes time to figure it all out. I thought I got rid of everything and then I would find more.

The question about food labeled gluten-free containing gluten - here is the deal. Many people worry about cc from food produced on the same lines and stuff containing gluten and things just produced in the same place. So, even if the food says it is gluten-free, I always find out if it is produced in a gluten-free facility. It isn't worth it to me to get sick. You will decide your comfort level with this soon, but for now I would play it safe and check this board for brands. There are a lot of companies that won't hide gluten, like Kraft. If you read the label and don't see anything containing gluten, then it isn't there. Search for the list of companies, it is very helpful.

There isn't a newbie section. If you look at the sections you can see places to ask your questions. The search feature will help you see if anyone else has asked your question in the past. It isn't the easiest search feature to use, but it works. If you type in newbie you will get tons and tons of posts.

You will need to decide how important it is to you to finish getting tested. Some people really want a formal diagnosis, other people are fine with just feeling better on the diet and don't want to go through with the testing. This is something that you need to decide. Doctors can't give you medicine or help you feel better, only the gluten-free diet can help, so it isn't like you have to go to a doctor to figure out what to do. Unfortunately, many doctors don't know much about celiac and aren't very helpful. If you are doing enterolab, you have time, so you don't have to figure this out right now.

Your symptoms don't sound strange. I too have a noisy stomach, brain fog, concentration problems, bloating along with headaches, stomach pain, sometimes D sometimes not, peeing all the time, anxiety.

This can be overwhelming in the beginning, but there is a lot of great info on this board.

aprilh Apprentice

Well, it must have been the grill. The grill was used for marinated things in the past and I just didn't think about that!!! Thanks for your suggestions and comments. Hope olive oil is safe. I pan seared some turkey tenderloin breast this morning. Last night since I was up late with the jitters from that chicken, I found a website that is based here where I am, a dietician who is celiac and some doctors that specialize.

CanadianGal Rookie

**sorry posted here in error****

Archived