Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speedy

Something I Have Realized

Ive been looking around this thread (teenagers only) and realized that no one that i know of on here has been a celiac their whole life. I see people saying oh i miss real food and what not, for me i dont knw what real food tastes like, gluten-free food is all i have known my entire life and it will never change, so please dont go around saying this like how you miss real food and actually think what it is like to never have had a cookie, or a hot dog or anything that looks and sounds good. because some of us arent as lucky too actually taste real yummy good food.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Flagbabyds has been gluten free since before she was 2. She's really nice....maybe you could pm her sometime.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Your right, that must be awful, many sympathies. Oh and as for the hotdogs, I know Hebrew National beef franks and Oscar Mayer hotdogs are gluten-free along with many others just do a search for gluten-free hot dogs. Double check though cause some varieties of the two above brands I named may/may not all be gluten-free. As for cookies, those are hard, but as I'm sure you already know, there are plenty of gluten-free ones and they really aren't that different in taste than the non-gluten-free ones (if you find the right ones). Cheer up :D .

Gluten-free foods taste better.

My kids eat hot dogs and cookies - we use gluten-free weiners and I make hot dog buns with Kinnick Kwik mix - I fold tin foil into the right shape and pour the dough in there to bake - I prefer them over gluten buns any day. I use Bette Hagmans recipes for cookies, My son recently told the dietician that "Mom makes the BEST cookies ever" - better than gluten cookies that he remembers.

and my son deasl with diabetes too.

I never thought to compare "real food" to gluten-free. It's real food to me - just different flours.

We have bread - just bread that is gluten-free

We eat donuts - from Kinnickinnick

we have cookies - just made with gluten-free flour

"real food" includes fruits and veges, meat, potatoes and rice....

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

I've met tons of people on this site who never have had gluten but I'm not one of them.... I almost think it would be worse to have tasted gluten before and to have become addicted to it.... I'm not either

LIZZIE*~*~*~*~

I dont think it is a bad thing that u havent had gluten. i've only had celiac for about a year and it is hard to let go of the gluten. A lot of gluten free food isn't too bad, but i actually wish i hadnt tried food with gluten before getting diagnosed it would have been easier, but now i could care less about the things i used to miss.

we found some flour that is gluten free, but is just like wheat flour that can be substituted in regular recipes to make homemade cookies, cakes, quickbreads such as banana bread, etc. it works great. its i think one of the closest things you can get to seeing what a regular chocolate chip cookie tastes like.

Even your friends wouldn't know it was gluten free. mine didnt

~KARA~

Diagnosed With Celiac 3/06