Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jen H

Can't Stay Healthy

Hey everyone,

Ever since I've been diagnosed with celiac disease, I have been sick with stomach viruses and the flu more often. I am rarely completely healthy and when I do get sick, I seem to stay ill longer than my family and friends.. I am curious if anyone has found any information on whether having celiac disease decreases immunity and lengthens illness duration. Have you heard any info on this subject from your doctors?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Jen:

It would make sense that this is an autoimmune disease that out bodies can't recover from an illness as quickly. I would suspect that as we get healthier our immune system will also get stronger.

Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"

"blood work show's a disease called celiac,

but it can't be that because it's rare!"

Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac

offering support, my

experience and advice

Guest Robbin

Also, you probably were not absorbing your nutrients, and your immune system is weaker because of that. Do you take any supplements? Perhaps some good multivitamins will help you build back up. It really does take a little time, but you will get there. It has taken me since Jan. to really start to build up more immunity. So far, I haven't caught the bug my family has had, so maybe my immune system is kicking in.

Take care and have courage, it will get better. If you think you may have some serious deficiencies, maybe your doctor should check your iron and vitamin levels.

I actually seldom get sick from viruses since going gluten-free. I am feeling tired and weak all the time though ... my doc says it's adrenal fatigue ... probably from the stress of being sick for so long along with everything else in life. Even if this is not your problem, if you followed some of the advice they give for dealing with it, you will probably feel better and help your immune system -- reduce stress, eat several small meals, never skip breakfast, get lots of sleep, eat whole foods and protein every meal, a little exercise (don't overdo it, choose relaxing ones), supplement -- I think this would help anyone. I'm finding it's really building my strength back up. Once you get your strength back, you should be better able to fight off illness.

I'm assuming you are already doing everything you can to be gluten-free! This is just extra stuff to bring you back to health. I think it's also a good idea to have your vitamin/mineral levels checked.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Thanks for your advice everyone. I am currently taking multivitamins and calcium supplements and I do get a lot of rest. Rikki Tikki, it does seem to make sense that our immune systems can't fight off infections as well because we've been sick. I will have to ask my doctor about that.