Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2Boys4Me

Calgarians

I emailed the assignment editor at work (CTV) some suggestions for Celiac Awareness month, and to my surprise he said he loved it and is assigning a reporter to do a story (or more, I hope). Last year, he deleted the suggestion. <_<

Anyway, in my pitch to do the story, I suggested that they speak to the Calgary Association and Dr. Butzner or Dr. Scott at Children's. I mentioned a profile of the owners of Splitt, the lactose/gluten free restaurant in south Calgary, Terracotto in Nanton, Earth's Oven in Calgary, and to get an Edmonton reporter to profile Kinnikinnick. I also said they should find out why the Food Allergy and Anaphylactic Network suggested that rye and barley NOT be considered a top allergen for ingredient labelling purposes. I can't find the info on that right now. I also mentioned following a newbie around the grocery reading labels and calling companies.

I've pm'd Sandy (2kids4me) to see if she might be interested in a interview. Ty has such boring symptoms (anemia only), I think the story would work better if we get people who can speak knowledgeably about cross contamination, etc. There are all these resources in Calgary, bakeries etc. that I know of but have never tried because I don't want to spend a fortune on stuff that Ty might not like, so I'm not confident speaking about them. I can talk about inconvenience and packing a pizza and cupcake to birthday parties.

So...if anyone is brave enough to do an on camera interview please let me know ASAP so I can forward your contact info to the reporter. She's off on Monday because of the stat, and I'm not sure when she'll be doing the story.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Have you e-mailed Rusla? She's in Calgary, isn't she?

Good Luck!

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Good thinking! I haven't seen her on the board for so long, she slipped my mind. And Lori (SkokiMom) is asymptomatic so that would be a boring interview (no offense, Lori!). I should email Carriefaith, too.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.