Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Karen

In Search Of Research Articles

Yesterday, when I was at my annual physical with my family doctor, she had a resident with her so I definitely was an awesome case study! Well, when I was giving a rundown of my history to the resident, I mentioned that once I went gluten free, both my anxiety (panic attacks) and heart palpitations went away. My family doctor said she couldn't understand how going gluten-free could stop my panic attacks. ????? Oy....... <_<

I am searching for any research articles that would show a connection for her...... If anyone has any, can they post it? Thanks!

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yesterday, when I was at my annual physical with my family doctor, she had a resident with her so I definitely was an awesome case study! Well, when I was giving a rundown of my history to the resident, I mentioned that once I went gluten free, both my anxiety (panic attacks) and heart palpitations went away. My family doctor said she couldn't understand how going gluten-free could stop my panic attacks. ????? Oy....... <_<

I am searching for any research articles that would show a connection for her...... If anyone has any, can they post it? Thanks!

Karen

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but here you go:

http://www.nutritional-therapy-online.co.uk/case.htm

http://www.icelandhealth.com/schizophrenia.html

http://bmc.ub.uni-potsdam.de/1471-244X-5-14/

Probably a lot more out there. I just Googled and came up with more than 10 pages....how many are relevant, who knows :)

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

Karen

PubMed is a good database to use when searching for medical papers. Physicians are often more likely to accept info from these sources because most (or maybe all??) of the research papers in that database are from peer-reviewed scientific journals.

Here is a link for 1 paper I found when I entered 2 key words in a PubMed search (ie anxiety AND celiac).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

Reference: Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004 Oct 1;20(7):777-82.

Title: "Psychological support counselling improves gluten-free diet compliance in coeliac patients with affective disorders."

Authors: Addolorato G, De Lorenzi G, Abenavoli L, Leggio L, Capristo E, Gasbarrini G.

Affiliation: Institute of Internal Medicine, Catholic University of Rome, Rome, Italy.

email: g.addolorato@rm.unicatt.it

BACKGROUND: "Anxiety and depression are common features of coeliac disease.... <snip>

The remainder of the abstract can be found by going to the link (above). If you have a medical library near you- they might have this journal or otherwise your library might be able to get a copy of the paper from a university medical school library.

Good luck- you might find more articles by entering some different search words: ie affective disorder, panic attack, etc.

Hope you find the type of paper you are looking for.

Suzie

Suzie

London, ON, Canada

celiac disease diagnosed by pos tTG March 2006 and pos biopsy June 2006