Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FeedIndy

Corn And Xanthum Gum

I bought a CBK cake mix for my DD's 1st birthday. I was so excited to find one labeled wheat-free, dairy-free and corn free, but I see it has xanthum gum as an ingredient. Isn't that derived from corn and will my apparently corn-allergic child have problems with this cake? I so want her to have cake on her birthday like her sisters had, but not if she's going to spend the weekend sick.

Mom to 3 girls

DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006

DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest nini

off of my bottle of Xanthan Gum:

Xanthan Gum is a soluble fiber produced from the pure culture fermentation of the mircroorganism Xanthomonas Campestris. It is used in the food processing industry as a thickener, stabilizer and emulsifier of a number of different foods.

Corn is used in the fermentation process. But companies that use xanthan gum often still claim it is corn free because no protein is in the final product (So, for instance, Enjoy Life foods is "free from corn" but contains xanthan gum)

I approach claims about "no protein" in the final product with caution . . . they claimed this with refined soy oil and with refined peanut oil and with soya lecithin . . . but studies show that some people do react.

As for which corn-derived ingredients are safe for people with a corn allergy if any? I asked my allergist this question---he says no one knows. Really, I don't think that corn allergy has been studied all that much. You'd be best to check with an allergy forum . . . or with someone on this board with a severe corn allergy. (I have a corn allergy, but I'm not sensitive to minute amounts of corn in, say, milk (in the vitamin A and D preparation) or iodized salt (dextrose). I'd probably be okay with xanthan gum . .. but am not sure.

positive tTG and antigliadin blood tests for celiac (summer 2006)

positive dietary response

environmental and food allergies.

Guest alex j

I read on a food allergy board that though most xanthan gum is grown on corn, there is one manufacturer in the US that grows it on something else (I'm thinking rice, though I'm not sure).

Maybe you could ask Cherrybrook kitchens what their xanthan is grown on. But it could definitely also be listed as corn protein free even if it is grown on corn (like things containing soy oil are listed as soy free).

I'd beware of the xanthum gum. it is most likely grown on corn. Depending on how sensitive your daughter is, it could cause some real problems.

V

Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.

1992 IBS diagnosis.

2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.

2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.

2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:

IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.

IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.

Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.

2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.