Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clearbelle

Gluten For Bloodwork

Hi All,

I am new here. I was just given a prescription for bloodwork to test for celiac disease by my doctor - only for the first time did I see on this board that you should be eating gluten for accurate results - how important is this? I have been gluten free for almost 1 month. I don't want to cause any undue symptoms etc either - but would like a confirmation of my condition for all types of reasons. I also have autoimmune thyroid disease and many of my symptoms don't make sense for GD - but they do for celiac disease -so I would like to know for sure so that I can ensure that I am taking care of myself all around. I don't plan on starting to eat gluten again regardless - but would just like to know. What do you all recommend. Is there a chance that i could still test positive even though I have been gluten free.

Also, how long does it usually take for symptoms to dissapate -while I have had a degree of relief since giving up gluten I do still have many symptoms - does this usually take a while?

Lasty, a rather bizarre question - but I have been having issues with an itchy nipple for over a year now - had a biopsy which showed some form of inflammation - dermitis? Could this be associated with celiac disease?

Thanks, C

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi All,

I am new here. I was just given a prescription for bloodwork to test for celiac disease by my doctor - only for the first time did I see on this board that you should be eating gluten for accurate results - how important is this? I have been gluten free for almost 1 month. I don't want to cause any undue symptoms etc either - but would like a confirmation of my condition for all types of reasons. I also have autoimmune thyroid disease and many of my symptoms don't make sense for GD - but they do for celiac disease -so I would like to know for sure so that I can ensure that I am taking care of myself all around. I don't plan on starting to eat gluten again regardless - but would just like to know. What do you all recommend. Is there a chance that i could still test positive even though I have been gluten free.

Also, how long does it usually take for symptoms to dissapate -while I have had a degree of relief since giving up gluten I do still have many symptoms - does this usually take a while?

Lasty, a rather bizarre question - but I have been having issues with an itchy nipple for over a year now - had a biopsy which showed some form of inflammation - dermitis? Could this be associated with celiac disease?

Thanks, C

I am sure you will read all about how it is inportant to be eating Gluten for the blood work! If you haven't been real strict then you might be ok, I went back on for about a week after a low gluten diet for a couple of weeks, and tests showed inconclusive. (I think) Still there are antibodies which will hang around for months after gluten-free. Anyhow, in regards to your nipples, I have had horible nipple troubles over the years but it has been related to breastfeeding. As long as I am BF I have sore nipples and when I quit they clear up. I have wondered too if there was a connection!

Nan

-Anti Gliadin Ab IgG 39 Spring 2006, positive improvement to gluten-free diet, past possible symptoms of thyroid, miscariges, heart palpitations

-Enterolab results Anti-gliadin 8, Tissue transglut 5, Genes 2,7

-husband genes 8,6

-Son age 11 postive enterolab results, high Gliadin AB IgG. Encopresis (soiling) Genes 2,8

-Daughter age 3 Chronic Constipation, eczema, clears up on gluten-free.

-Three children no symptoms, not tested

-Mother positive in Tissue Transglut Antibody, IgA Fall 2006

A month on a gluten-free diet is pretty likely to skew your results. You should be eating a gluten-free diet (of about 3 slices of bread a day) for about 3 months prior to testing to have reasonable confidence of not getting a false negative, though it's no guarnatee. Recovery of symptoms can take a number of months, once you get every last ounce of gluten out of your life.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA