Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

imagine22

How Do You Test For A Gluten Intollerence/sensitivity (ie Not Necessarily Celiac)?

how do you test for a gluten intollerence/sensitivity (ie not necessarily celiac)? do you just try the diet and see if you improve or are there tests like skin prick? (does celiac show up in skin prick tests as an allergy to wheat?)

my mother tested neg to celiac in the blood test but has lots of symptoms (fatigue, depression, bloating, had a baby with a cleft palate, weight problems [and btw i have celiac]) so i was wondering how she would be tested for a gluten intollerence.

thanks,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Gluten intolerance is NOT an allergy, and allergy testing won't detect it, unless your mother is allergic to gluten as well as intolerant (which is possible, but fairly rare). The celiac disease blood tests won't detect gluten intolerance either, and neither would a biopsy.

The only foolproof ways to test for gluten intolerance are with Enterolab and/or the diet. For myself, I just tried the diet, with amazing results. So, I don't know if I actually have real celiac disease (even though I suspect I do), or have 'just' gluten sensitivity (which can make you just as ill as celiac disease), and it really doesn't matter. Because the treatment is the exact same, which is the gluten-free diet.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------