Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Kathy Ann

Tracking Down Hidden Source Of Glutening

Guest Kathy Ann

I just got off the phone with Bob's Red Mill. They are really nice folks! I asked lots of questions because I use their flours almost exclusively. But I'm getting repeatedly glutened somewhere and am trying to investigate why.

It is true that they are very careful to specifically keep their gluten products from being cross contaminated by using a separate facility.

But in questioning them further, I discovered that we should ask about other allergy foods if we have them. I have additional allergies to corn and almonds. Both of them are also processed in the gluten free area. And because they use stones to do the grinding, the ability to completely eliminate all residue between procedures is not practical, at least not for those of us who appear to be really sensitive.

I think having my own grinder is just a better solution. Grain you grind yourself is fresher and more nutritious anyway.

I just sold my Whisper Mill since the wheat contamination it contained was not cleanable. Anybody have a good grinder they would recommend? Whisper Mill is out of business.

P.S. I didn't mean to imply by my title that Bob's Red Mill was my source of glutening. On the contrary, they appear to be a very diligent company and my problems with them lay more with contamination regarding my other allergies, not gluten. I still don't know what's glutening me, if anything.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

To find out what's bothering you, cut down to a basic diet of meat, fish, eggs, fruit, veggies, potatoes, and rice. Then add in the more processed foods one at a time and you should discover which is bothering you.

Sorry, I don't use a flour grinder ... I pretty much eat what I listed above, plus Tinkyada Pasta, Van's frozen waffles, and gluten-free bread.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06