Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

egiap10

Working With Gluten

Hi, i recently worked at a cafe/ cake shop, which which was not a gluten free environment at all. i dont know why but i assumed i wouldnt get any side effects, if i didnt eat the food. anyway..just working around the food made me break out into all kinds of reactions, inclding rashes, swelling, nausea migranes, stomach pains.. the whole shabang.. like id just eaten some massive gluten packed meal.. i was wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation, or even been able to handle working in such an envirnment.. the only good thing about this is that im not tempted by gluten cakes at all.. every time i smell a cake now, it makes me feel like throwing up.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes. I break-out horrible if gluten comes contact with my skin. I felt horrible at the smell of it too. I went into a bread store and it nearly made me sick. I absolutely will not handle gluten unless I have pair of gloves on and if I really need to handle it. The only I time I remember doing so was for an art project. Sorry for the horrible experience there, it sucks. :(

-Ash

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso

That's the one reason I don't work in a restaurant (my roommate does and her tips are incredible).

Enterolab results: 14 October 2006

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

(Yay!)

gluten-free since May 2005

Currently soy and dairy free !

"You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound"

--Psalm 4:7