This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Refusal

kirst4588

kirst4588 Apprentice

When Justin's "under attack" as I call it, meaning, has been exposed to gluten, I assume - or so his bowel movements seem to evidence - it seems that he refuses to eat - Before I knew he had celiac disease, he always seemed starving - when he was 100% breastfeed, he nursed 24X7 - but now, he goes back and forth - I realize this is partly normal for any kid, as they go through growth spurts (sp) etc - and some kids are grazers - but Justin will go days on days (including today) where all he wants is to drink - and I have to bribe or force him to eat. Today, for example, I had to call my neighbor and have her call my cell phone and pretend to be ChuckECheese and tell him, if he didn't eat, he couldn't come there and play - then when he ate 4 or 5 bites, we went to ChuckECheese - now he's just sleeping!

#@$#%

krs10

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kathyhay Apprentice

My son is not diagnosed celiac, but I feel that he has to be gluten intolerant. AND I COMPLETELY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! Before I suspected wheat intolerance, I hated the fact that my son would ALWAYS be wanting to nurse (he's 27 months old and still nursing). I didn't think that was normal for a 2 year old, and it made me think that something was wrong with him. I didn't realize that pudding/peanut butter consistency poops weren't normal. Anyway, he would ask to nurse several times each hour, and I KNEW he was just starving hungry, but he didn't want whatever I offered. I would offer 20 different foods, and he would just cry because he wanted to nurse. I figured his tummy was hurting for some reason, making him want the most easily digestible food possible. I am so thankful for the internet, because without all of these online resources, I never would have been able to figure it out. It's too bad that doctors don't look for causes of symptoms, and just want to treat the symptoms. I'm so glad that there is this forum where I can talk with people who are going through the same thing as my family. It is such a strength to me.

TaylorsMom Rookie

Kirsten,

I know that we talked earlier today about all of this but I just wanted to respond for everyone else. Taylor (going through testing for Celiac) will often refuse to eat, but she will beg me without end for something to drink. There are times that she goes for days without eating anything but a banana here, some strawberries there, maybe some grapes but absolutely will not touch anything else. And I can't say that I blame her because today she only had a banana and some strawberries and was having a good day, then I convinced her to eat some macaroni. Within an hour of eating it her abdomen swelled up 3.5 inches larger than it was before eating :(

Megan

rgeelan Apprentice

William does that same thing with not wanting to eat. Our doctors just kept telling us it was 3 year old wilpower and that nothing was wrong with him... Of course when they said that they also said to seriously limit what we gave him to drink and force him to eat. Then he got sicker... :( I now firmly believe that maybe they know what theya re talkng about when they say that eating makes their tummy hurt... And the doctors should have listened sooner while I kept draging him in there.

kirst4588 Apprentice

*crying*

I let him drink Pediasure because when all he wants to do is drink, it kindof makes me feel like he's getting SOMETHING healthy, beings that it is a nutritional supplement - but I feel like a crummy mum because he should be eating healthier - I shouldn't be celebrating if I can get him to eat a handful of JUNK! You know what really makes me think...when I do his food diary - on the days that I do it, I feel like I'm just not seeing him eating much - I'd be embarrassed to have anyone else read what he consumes in a day..."hot dog; gluten-free macaroni n cheese; Pediasure; some rice cereal mixed with cocoa pebbles..." THATS IT - Maybe since he's starting preschool tomorrow, I'll actually have time to cook some of these darn recipes from the gluten-free cookbooks!!!

thanks for letting me vent :rolleyes:

kirst4588 Apprentice

p.s. Kathy - Your child knows what's best and that's what your milk is and you may not get raving support from the greater at large for nursing, but it's what God intended and I'm sure that thanks to you, your child is better of than without - stay strong!

rgeelan Apprentice

Kirsten... Dont be so hard on yourself!!! He is eating just FINE! Hell, remind yourself that he is EATING! Ok! I never worry about if the food my kids eat is bad or good I only worry that they are getting it in them! We have gone through days where my son hasn't eaten more than 2 or 3 bites of food and that is very stressfull, I would rather him eat tons of junk food than nothing...

I am sending you lots of hugs! LMK if you need to talk.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cdobbs Rookie

i know exactly what yall are talking about. my 5yr old is the same way. he hardly eats anything and if all he its is junk so be it. also with the tummy ache. i never noticed it till recently everytime my 2yr old easts afterwards he says his tummy hirts but now that we have been diagnosed with celiac disease that explains alot. hes happy with just flake cereal as he calls it(envirokids corn flakes) kids will grow up and learn to eat better i think. you just have to hang in there and hope for the best.

christi

Archived