Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

darlindeb25

Is It Ever Ok To Cheat?

Because cheating on the gluten-free diet has been discussed here recently, I felt strongly I should post this.

I just found this website yesterday and it looks like it will be extremely helpful. As I write this, I am a patient in the hospital (for the past three weeks). I was diagnosed with celiac ten years ago. As soon as I started the gluten free diet, I immediately felt better and stayed healthy. After three years, I began to cheat and did not stay on the diet. I was off the diet for seven years with no symptoms at all, but evidently was doing "silent damage" to my intestines. Last month, I became very sick, quickly became dehydrated, lost 25 pounds and was hospitalized. A strict gluten free diet has not been effective at all and I am still having severe symptoms. Just to make sure nothing else is wrong, my physician has done every other test and nothing else is wrong. They have decided that it is refractory sprue. I'm getting steroids and tincture of opium to help with symptoms. Right now, the plan is to go home with TPN (feeding through a port) and hopefully, healing will happen. Has anyone experienced episodes similar where the diet was not effective? Becky

I found this in another forum and reading it tells me exactly what I have always thought. You will have to become a member of Delphi Forums to read this, it's free--I just felt reading the story and then all the responses will be very helpful to so many who think an occasional cheating can't hurt.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?...msg%3D58686%2E1

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):