Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katydid

Lame Advertisement?

An elderly celiac friend of ours who is very good about his gluten free diet continues to have problems with the big D and cannot seem to pin down his problem. He takes Shaklee "over 50" Multiple Vitamins. I believe its vita gold or something like that. Does anyone know if Lame Advertisement are gluten free? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My understanding is that there are very few gluten-free Shaklee items. Best to check the website and email them as their formulations change often.

I take several of the products every day and have been fine. This is their statement regarding gluten:

Products containing gluten

The following information is based on ingredients that contain gluten. Although products not listed are likely to be gluten-free, we do not make that guarantee, because we do not test for the presence of gluten.

While a number of products on the market claim to be "gluten-free," there is no legal standard for such labeling, and testing for the presence of gluten is not required to make the gluten-free claim. Marketers of gluten-free products may base the claim on the presumption that, since ingredients in the product do not contain gluten, the product is gluten-free. However, consumers sensitive to gluten should be mindful that "gluten-free" products made in equipment and/or facilities that also make gluten-containing products can contain gluten through cross contamination. Therefore, individuals who are severely sensitive to gluten should confirm that so-called "gluten-free" products are substantiated by tests showing that gluten is not present in the product.

Shaklee Products that contain gluten:

Food and Nutritional Supplements

Product Source of gluten

Carbo-Crunch

Most of Shaklee products are actually gluten free...Contact me for a current listing.

The new Vitalizer Pack that was just released is all gluten free...This pack is SUPER important for us that have damaged absorption issues with B-12...It is formulated to be released in the intestines instead of the stomach so you don't need intrinsic factor to absorb it. No more B-12 shots!!!! Now we can just take the Vitalizer pack with the special B-complex in it.

I am actually working with the Execs. at Shaklee to get "certified gluten free" put on their labels...As you all know, this is very expensive to do...separate facility...raw ingredients of utmost quality that aren't contaminated with wheat...and testing of each batch for contamination...Shaklee already does 83,000 quality assurance tests each year-but they are looking into adding this one...

If you have any questions regarding Shaklee and Gluten Free vitamins...just let me know... :D

kerryb_mc@yahoo.com

I take several of the products every day and have been fine. This is their statement regarding gluten:

Products containing gluten

The following information is based on ingredients that contain gluten. Although products not listed are likely to be gluten-free, we do not make that guarantee, because we do not test for the presence of gluten.

While a number of products on the market claim to be "gluten-free," there is no legal standard for such labeling, and testing for the presence of gluten is not required to make the gluten-free claim. Marketers of gluten-free products may base the claim on the presumption that, since ingredients in the product do not contain gluten, the product is gluten-free. However, consumers sensitive to gluten should be mindful that "gluten-free" products made in equipment and/or facilities that also make gluten-containing products can contain gluten through cross contamination. Therefore, individuals who are severely sensitive to gluten should confirm that so-called "gluten-free" products are substantiated by tests showing that gluten is not present in the product.

I would say these are take at your own risk. It would make sense that they would test their own products to claim gluten-free. Personally I would stay away from products/Shaklee that "claim" they are gluten-free, especially if they don't periodically test for gluten.

Other personal care products

Most do not contain gluten-containing ingredients. However, such products as lipsticks and cleansing bars contain ingredients from oats and/or wheat. If you are severely sensitive to topically applied products that contain gluten, please examine the ingredients listed on product packaging.

Again, same statement...lipsticks that may contain gluten, you are asking for trouble, as you may lick your lips, or eat something while wearing the lipstick that would affect you. I don't think lipsticks are just topical even though you clearly don't eat it.

Maybe I am just confused with the topic/question

Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!

Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac

SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden

March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac

Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!

Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene

3 children-

youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease

middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac

oldest - ignores warnings