This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going On Tour!

Laurad-

Laurad- Apprentice

Hi Everyone!

I'm going on tour with Disney on Ice!

I'll be in each city for a week, living in hotel rooms, and I'd like to avoid eating in restaurants as much as possible. Hopefully my rooms will have those little mini bar fridges, but there definately won't be kitchens. I'm going to bring a hot pot, though, I think.

So... those are the facts. Can you please help me brainstorm meal ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

How fun!

I ate a LOT of Thai Kitchen when I first got diagnosed. They have several different just-add-water type things. They use rice noodles, so they're gluten-free. I'm not sure if any of the pre-cooked chicken strips in the lunchmeat section are gluten-free, but I used to add some chicken to it to make it more of a full meal.

Fresh fruit and veggies of course. Bananas and apples are always pretty filling.

There are several brands of gluten-free granola bars. Easy to keep in your purse and grab a bite when you need to.

Frito-Lay is a company that will disclose any allergen, so as long as it's not listed in the ingredients it's safe. Cool Ranch Doritos and Cheetoes are a mainstay around my house.

Chips and salsa are always good. Make sure you read labels. I'd stay away from anything that says it was "made in a facility that also processes wheat". I've had bad luck with chips that say that. Since you're going to be working I wouldn't take the chance.

Nancy

HawkFire Explorer

We travel quite a bit. I puchased a wonderful cooler that keeps ice for a week! I pack my frozen breads in it for our trips. I pack gluten free donuts for my children. It is junk food, but road trips require some donuts. I have a single burner that I bring everywhere. I plug it in boil my noodles in a real pot, make buckwheat hot cereal for breakfast, heat sauce, boil vegetables for the kids, make rice, chicken boiled eggs for breakfast... A burner is better than a hot pot. Bring a medium sized pot with a lid that way you can make anything at all. I also find that stopping at grocery stores for the salad bars is a good option. If you purchase those toaster sleaves, you can ask the hotel to toast your gluten free bread specially for you, take it to your room where you can have a hard boild egg on toast. I like that as the trip progresses, the cooler gets lighter.

More items we bring on the road:

Nuts

individual apple sauces

dried fruits (any, hunger will motivate you to eat it all)

Tinkyada pastas

Jars sauce

box white rice (only time I use white)

buckwheat (cream of ... for breakfast)

boxes raisins for apple sauce or buckwheat cereal

box cold cereal

bread lasts for several days if not frozen. Molds quickly thereafter.

glutino cereal bars are great

Jar of peanut butter (always have that for protein to fill you up)

Honey bear for peanut butter and honey or to sweeten your buckwheat cereal

many, many Lara bars (very nutritious)

you could bring easy open lid cans of:

pineapples

baked beans

veggies of any kind

corn tortillas for bread emergencies

energ pretzels

Actual meal ideas are:

Rice and veggies

spaghetti with sauce

Chicken and rice

Beans (any- black, kidney, garbonzo) with rice and salsa and tortilla chips

salad from a supermarket salad bar

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches

Hard boiled eggs on toast

soft boiled eggs on toast

if you have mayo you can make egg salad or chicken salad

baked beans and a boiled hot dog

cream of rice cereal or cream of buckwheat. add raisins and honey

purchase a small bag of mixed veggies from a supermarket- boil them. add chicken, salt and pepper for soup.

I would say, as a mom who packs for kids, that salty foods like chips, sweet junk food and greasy food

will make you feel rotton inside. Just avoid it. You want to enjoy yourself and you can't do that if you eat junk food because it seems simpler that way. You can make this work. I believe I purchased by single burner from walmart or maybe it was target. Remember a metal spoon to stir your cooking food as plastic will melt!! Remember a sponge with a scrubbie side to it to properly clean your pot, a small bottle of dish detergent, a bowl that can double as your plate and you should be all set.

Archived