Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ginap73

Over Eating

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Can over eating gluten free foods affect the same as eating gluten foods?

I was thrilled to have gluten free spagetti and got carried away and kinda over ate.

If by "affect the same", you mean will too much make you fat?, the answer is yes B)

If you mean will it affect you the same as if you've been glutened, then no. At least I've never seen any research that would support that.

If you're experiencing symptoms like you've been glutened, I would make sure the pots, pans, strainer and utensils weren't contanimated from previous gluten usage.

Also, what type of sauce did you use? Not all are gluten free.

John

positive blood tests 2/07

positive endoscopy 2/07

colonoscopy with benign polyps 2/07

Can over eating gluten free foods affect the same as eating gluten foods?

I was thrilled to have gluten free spagetti and got carried away and kinda over ate.

If you mean that you feel symptoms similar to eating gluten even though you've eaten a truly gluten-free product (0% gluten), it may be possible.

I've had similar experiences. My theory is that since the permability of the small intestine is often compromised in those with celiac disease (and compromised during their healing process), it makes sense that over eating may stress this recovering system and result in partially digested foods, proteins, etc, improper entrance into the bloodstream. And so, the body reacts, launches an auto-immune response, much like a response to gluten.