This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Been Diagnosed

loozey

loozey Newbie

hi,im lucy and i live in Northampton uk. I have just been diagnosed and am a bit freaked out. I know it is not the end of the world,i was just wondering if u were daunted like myself when u al found out? thanx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NJKen Rookie
hi,im lucy and i live in Northampton uk. I have just been diagnosed and am a bit freaked out. I know it is not the end of the world,i was just wondering if u were daunted like myself when u al found out? thanx

Hi, Lucy! Yes, it's very upsetting at first, but it gets better. I think you'll find that you can keep your home stocked with plenty of gluten-free options without too much trouble. Eating out is more of a problem, but you can find out which places are more celiac-friendly by reading the posts on this board, and by posting your own questions. (Be aware that many of the posters on this board have multiple food intolerances/allergies; you may not need to be as restrictive as everyone who posts.) If you have favorite places that you like to eat, contact the manager(s) directly to find out how they can accommodate you. If you like to travel abroad, look up the websites of the celiac societies of the countries that you plan to visit. Let your friends and family know about your new dietary restrictions, and be prepared to patiently explain again and again why you can't eat the item that they were sure was OK for you. Eating is often a social activity, and it can be challenging to safeguard your health without offending your eating companions.

Good luck!

Ken

Guest j_mommy

Hello and Welcome!

Let me tell you, you have come to the best site ever! I am also newly Diagnosed(april 1) and it is very scary at first! I have a biopsy scheduled 5/15, I am still eating gluten until then so my biopsy is "true". I never thought I would say this but I can't wait to go Gluten free!!!!! I now know I will feel so much better. As soon as I was DX'd I went to amazon .com and bought: "Living Gluten Free for Dummies" and Celiac Disease:A Hidden epidemic" by Peter Green. Those two books and this site have made me sane agian. I really feel like I can do this!!! The "For Dummies" book has alot of Starter stuff and makes you laugh! It was a great buy! I hope this helps!!!! YOU'RE NOT ALONE! Everyone on this site is knowledgeab;e and helpful.....even if you just need a "shoulder" to lean on! Good Luck

luvs2eat Collaborator

Yea, I was TOTALLY freaked out when I was diagnosed! But there's so much information here that will make you feel so much better and so many people who know the answers to just about ANY question you could ask! It doesn't take long to focus on all the foods you CAN have rather than the ones you can't. Ya just have to learn to cook a little differently, that's all.

Welcome!!

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Hi Lucy and welcome!! :)

I'm in the UK (London) and my hubby and son have celiac disease.

I know my hubby found it very overwhelming at first but it truly does get easier with time.

Have you joined Coeliac UK yet?? (their 'handbook' listing safe foods is very helpful)

Now that my hubby has been gluten-free for nearly 3 yrs, I can see that in a roundabout sort of way it done the whole family a favour.We eat so much more healthily now :) ...it just takes time to adjust.

Good Luck ! :)

Archived