Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac#5of7

Buying New Range - Convection?

I need to buy new aplliances and I'm wondering whether regular electric or convection is better/more consistent for gluten-free baking? Convection is supposed to be more even temperature and energy efficient (faster. I'm wondering though whether the fragile rising of gluten-free is better in one than the other and whether it would be drying? Perhaps the brand is more important for an excellent oven? Please advise ASAP! Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I bought a new range last summer, when the electronic control module on my not-really-so-old one died, and I decided it wasn't worth the cost to fix (sort of :angry: about the old one dieing, but :D about getting a new one). I was in a serious rush, since the old one was DEAD (only the burners still worked), and therefore no food was being BAKED at my house (thank goodness it was bbq season).

I went to my nearby Sears Home - I knew I needed self-clean and also ceramic top, but I didn't know what a convection could do. The sales lady convinced me that if I loved to bake, the extra $200 was worth it to move to the convection model. She was SO right!

I don't use the convection mode for bread, or muffins (i think the moving air cooks the top too fast before it can rise properly). But it makes great cookies on convection (all 3 racks in at once, none burned, none soggy - christmas baking was a snap), and the meats are incredible (hope you aren't vegan :unsure: ). Oven roast potatoes are fantastic as well - toss wedges with oil and spices, and bake on a cookie sheet. Yum.

I can actually throw a jelly-roll cake on the bottom rack while I am cooking a roast or chicken in the middle, and it cooks beautifully without burning.

My recommendation would be to get a convection oven!

Debbie

Gluten free since July 97

corn free since Jan 98

Never diagnosed by a Doctor

Symptoms cleared on gluten-free diet

Mom and one sister are also gluten-free

One sister with type I diabetes (diagnosed at age 10)