Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kellygirl

Pricy Foods

Hi All,

I happened upon an Indian groceries store yesterday. I happen to live in a very multi-cultural community so this might just be a lucky thing for me. A lot of people including myself found that gluten-free food prices are crazy.

At any rate I went inside and talked to the owner who had to communicate with me through his son. I did learn that the ENTIRE STORE was dairy free and meat free as is there religious, bonus for me as I am a vegetarian with a lactose intolerance. I asked about flours and you will be shocked to know that I bought a big bag of rice flour for $1.99 CANADIAN and 2 bags of Millet or Juwar Flour for $2.99. They had all kinds of products directly from indian and all of it was of little cost and the flours that were wheat and such were not processed at those plants that made these flours that I purchased. While talking to the Son I also found out that his mother does the baked goods in the from case and surprise surprise, she only doesn't use wheat in here baking. It's just something I thought I would share with everyone seeing as the only reason I went into an Indian store was because someone on this site mentioned that Indian food is the way to go because they don't use a lot of breads. So if you have an Indian food store near you check it out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Just a note on the flours:

Juwar = Sorghum (same as juvar or jowar)

Bajri = Millet

How much was in each bag? What are the brands?

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Just a note on the flours:

Juwar = Sorghum (same as juvar or jowar)

Bajri = Millet

How much was in each bag? What are the brands?

The Juwar Flour was $2.99 and the Name of the Company is #1 Ghanti Chaap that is the english writing on the bag I don't have the symbols to put the Indian writing on here, but it was manufactured by Indian Groceries and Spices

OK, thanks. That's actually the same one I got recently, and same price too. Nirav is another brand made by the same company. Indian Groceries & Spices

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

HI

I don't know of any Indian stores around me but I sure that the vietnmies store will a lot of gluten free foods, I sure that I have some kind of Indian of Iranian store we have quite a few Mosk around town.

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 21 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 13 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)

You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

buy lots for me, I have to travel 60 miles to locate a health food store, walmart or anything "really good", best I have is 3 small town grocery stores, a very small k-mart and a "pamida" most of my shopping is done online for gluten free stuff.... amazon .com actually has some the catchis, you have to buy a case at a time, but for stuff you use alot, its a good deal.

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!