This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Feeling Glutened : (

dawnrose008

dawnrose008 Rookie

New to this site! Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in April and have been gluten-free for about 5 weeks now. I went through a period of feeling better, than MUCH worse, so I decide to cut out dairy as well about 3 days ago and have improved, especially with bloating, since. However, I started to get bad stomach cramps last night, and this morning I've been feeling tired, lightheaded, and foggy. I think I may have been glutened but I don't know from what??!! I've been very careful about cross-contamination in the kitchen and haven't eaten out at all. I'm also pretty sure all of my shampoo, soap, make-up and lotion are gluten-free. (with the exception of Nivea body lotion..can't find a definitive yes or no on that one). I started taking Prilosec yesterday...their website says it's gluten-free. Does anyone else on this site take it?? Has anyone been glutened from farm-raised salmon, the kind with the color added? I ate that yesterday too. Please help! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

girlywhirly Newbie

I am new too, having been diagnosed in early April. Before my endoscopy they diagnosed me with ulcers and I took Prilosec for several weeks. It made me feel worse so i stopped taking it and discovered that most likely it was a lack of stomach acid that further affected my digestion issues. My natural health care practicioner recommended that I take stomach building supplements (acidophilus, and other specially made gut strengthening supplements) which has provided the most help. As far as the salmon goes, I still have difficulty digesting salmon too, it makes me feel glutened every time I eat it. I would love to know what makes it have that effect as well!

dawnrose008 Rookie

Thanks for the response! That's interesting about Prilosec...I may try to wean myself off of it and see if it helps at all, since I am still having digestive issues after almost 2 months on gluten-free diet. Also, interesting that other people have the same reaction to salmon!

happygirl Collaborator

d.r.: welcome to the site --happy you have found it :)

how are you feeling now? have you seen an improvement since your original post?

Best of luck!

dawnrose008 Rookie

Happygirl,

Thanks for the response! I've actually been struggling with symptoms still, since my first post. Still feeling tired, lightheaded, dizzy, weak, not much of an apetite, indigestion...I'm being very careful about gluten, and dairy, so not sure what is causing the symptoms at this point. I'm going back to my GI tomorrow, and I've started seeing a nutritionist and keeping a food diary. Hopefully I'll feel better soon. Thanks again!

Murph Newbie

I'm wondering if wild salmon would affect u also. Farm-raised includes a coloring added and I have no idea what's in that, tho I'd bet it's not gluteny.

Also wondering what else u ate on salmon day.

I think most celiacs w/ long-term damage get leaky-gut (compromised intestinal permeability) and intestinal candida, which can make yeast ingestion feel like being glutened. Also the leaky gut can create other food allergies, tho hopefully temporary. It was corn for me, among others.

Archived