Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jo.R

Maybe Mom Has It Too

My mom was dx with neuropathy and MS (through elimination of other things and lesions). I am reading Celiac Disease A Hidden Epidemic and I am wondering if she really doesn't have celiac disease. She went gluten free for the MS diet and is getting better (she has primary progressive, so this shouldn't be happening). Anyway, she was sometimes cheating on the diet, and this last time she got D like she has never had before. We talked and she is just going to go with the idea that she has celiac. I am going to go through her cupboards, cosmetics, and meds this week. I am excited for her possible better health, and on the selfish side, she cooks, so she will learn all the good recipes. :P

Stomach problems began November of 2005

Gall bladder removed April 2006

Positive Blood test October 2006

Refused endoscope

Gluten-free since January 21, 2007

Positive reaction to diet

The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord. Job 1:21b

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest jokamo
My mom was dx with neuropathy and MS (through elimination of other things and lesions). I am reading Celiac Disease A Hidden Epidemic and I am wondering if she really doesn't have celiac disease. She went gluten free for the MS diet and is getting better (she has primary progressive, so this shouldn't be happening). Anyway, she was sometimes cheating on the diet, and this last time she got D like she has never had before. We talked and she is just going to go with the idea that she has celiac. I am going to go through her cupboards, cosmetics, and meds this week. I am excited for her possible better health, and on the selfish side, she cooks, so she will learn all the good recipes. :P

Hi Jo.R

I was dx'd in 2001 with Lupus and Fibromyalgia. I have been doing the gluten-free diet now for a about 4 months (although I did cheat a little in the beginning) and I am still finding hidden gluten that is causing problems. My symptoms (when I get glutened) range from brain fog to severe myscle and joint pain and fatigue. Needless to say, I don't cheat anymore and if I do get glutened, it's by accident. I also have problems with Maltodextrin, Caramel color/flavoring, asparatame, splenda, and I really watch for Natural flavors (sometimes they can be a hidden gluten).

Hope your mom feels better and I hope I have helped.

Jodi M.