This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Suspicions

Motherbird

Motherbird Newbie

Forgive me for not reading anything else before I posted, I have already searched the internet this morning in frustration to find information before I found this site and I am too tired to read much more!

I am 8 mos pregnant and have had symptoms that have been increasingly problematic. As my pregnancy has progressed I have tried to rule out various things. Main symptom is uncontrollable sleepiness after certain meals. This is more or less severe depending on how much sleep I had the night before but if I don't get to sleep it off, I get cranky. I thought I always NEEDED a nap everyday (pregnant or not) until I started realizing pea soup and other legumes instead of a sandwich for lunch kept me going great until bedtime. Also, I feel like I am in a 'brain fog' sometimes and wondered if that was related or if I am just getting old! LOL (36)

I used a glucometer to test blood sugar over the course of last month as I thought that was the problem since usually the 'whites' seemed to be the problem, white flour, potatoes etc. My blood sugar is fine.

I am otherwise healthy and don't have other symptoms of celiac, no digestive problems (except for possibly pregnancy related constipation that goes away with higher fiber diet) etc.

I have had this problem for 6 years or longer that I had already linked to oatmeal and therefore avoided (though I love it) but as the symptoms got worse and I ruled out blood sugar problems, I googled uncontrollable sleepiness and was brought to a website (I can't find again) that said it was linked to gluten intolerance and listed the four grains wheat, oats, barley, and rye. I rarely have barley though my favorite beef barley stew is one that makes me sleepy I didn't connect that until now. And I hate rye. Wheat has been a staple. Since I read that last week, I have experimented somewhat White flour (especially tortillas and some cold cereal) and sprouted wheat bread work fastest, whole grain wheat slower but still have sleepiness. Avoiding them even for a day relieved symptoms somewhat.

QUESTIONS: If I simply act as if I have gluten intolerance and avoid those grains, is that enough? Or do I really need to go through expensive testing since I don't have severe digestive symptoms? Also, how would potatoes be linked? Do they also have gluten or could that be a separate intolerance? Is gluten intolerance in any way linked to PMS or PMDD? That is another issue I really struggle with non-pregnant and even to a small degree I have symptoms while pregnant.

Thanks

Motherbird

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

The symptoms you describe could be celiac/gluten intolerance.

I would at least have the celiac panel (5 tests, not just the Iga) while you're still eating gluten. If you go gluten-free, then decide later that you want tested, you will have to go back on gluten for months. Now's your only chance for testing.

Even if testing comes out negative, then try the gluten-free diet to see how you react.

Many people are sensitive to nightshade vegetables -- potatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc.

You could possibly have a candida problem and get sleepy from that.

Murph Newbie

I'd be willing to bet u are unknowingly consuming barley. Even Kellog's Rice Krispies have barley. As "malt", it's included in many many food products. Unless specifically looked for, or eating incredibly healthful, w/ 0 convenience foods, barley can barely (hehe) be avoided.

Guest j_mommy

I would suspect gluten may be an issue! Since you have blood drawn anyway(due to being prego)....I would also suggest you do the blood work! Can't hurt.

Are you sure it's just prego constipation????? Life stresses(prego, marriage, divorce ect) can "trigger" the celiac gene. not all people have the gene that have celiac but most do! For me,I have had symptoms my whole life but I had other intolerances, but things got worse after I had my son 2 1/2 years ago!

Also...don't want to scare you, but it would be good to find out if you have celiac, b/c there is a possiblity then that your child could have it. My son has symptoms on occassion.

Motherbird Newbie
I'd be willing to bet u are unknowingly consuming barley. Even Kellog's Rice Krispies have barley. As "malt", it's included in many many food products. Unless specifically looked for, or eating incredibly healthful, w/ 0 convenience foods, barley can barely (hehe) be avoided.

Okay, you are likely right there. See so much to learn and I am too tired to do it! LOL I think I will find out more about the testing. I need to look more into the candida issue as well. Thanks for responding.

Archived