Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supermom

Testing Questions

I am a newcomer to this site, and I am very grateful for all the information I've come across. I have not been diagnosed with celiac, but I'm being tested at my next appt. I know that there is bloodwork first and then perhaps a biopsy.

How long does it take to get the blood tests back? I'm leaving soon for a month's vacation with my family and I really want to have some idea before we go.

Thank you all so much,

Rachael

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My daughter's were done at the lab at our local hospital. It took 3 or 4 days for the results to be called into our doctor. If they are not back before you leave, maybe give them a cell number, or try to call your doctor after the amount of time he tells you it should take to receive the lab work. If you are concerned about taking gluten-free food with you, it might be best to wait until after the endoscopy, if you are planning on having one done before going gluten-free. Otherwise, healing would start and then it would not show damaged villi if you are celiac. For the best test results, you need to be consuming gluten. Best of luck and have a fun vacation.

My daughter's were done at the lab at our local hospital. It took 3 or 4 days for the results to be called into our doctor. If they are not back before you leave, maybe give them a cell number, or try to call your doctor after the amount of time he tells you it should take to receive the lab work. If you are concerned about taking gluten-free food with you, it might be best to wait until after the endoscopy, if you are planning on having one done before going gluten-free. Otherwise, healing would start and then it would not show damaged villi if you are celiac. For the best test results, you need to be consuming gluten. Best of luck and have a fun vacation.

Thank you, I'm not as concerned about going gluten-free on vacation, as I know that would be impossible. We're going to the upper peninsula of Michigan, and while it's very peaceful, it's not exactly a center of alternative foods! I also know, as you said, I want an accurate test, so even if I had an endoscopy afterward, I'd want it to the right results.

I will have to give them my cell just in case. I want to know for peace of mind, since I've had all these health problems for quite some time now and I'm impatient for an answer.

Thanks again for your help, and I hope your daughter is well!

Rachael