Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mary88

Both Gluten And Lactose Intolerance

I was hospitalized for two weeks with horrible colitis. When I was discharged I was put on a gluten free and lactose free diet (with NO instruction I might add) My husband and I are in our early sixties and this is a hugh life-style change for us. We have always eaten well -- whole grains lots of fruit and vegetables, and now suddenly everything is turned upside down.

Has anyone out there ever been in my position? Can someone recommemd a book that address this combination of issues? I am becoming very depressed and really want to talk with someone who understands this. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

you can continue to eat the same way (minus the whole grain bread) by changing the grains you cook. rather than having bulgar or barley, for instance, as a side dish, make brown rice or quinoa or amaranth or lentils or beans. all the fruits and vegetables are still fine. if you're eating whole foods, and cooking from scratch, you'll find there aren't too many modifications.

can you post a few examples of what would be normal meals (for all times of the day) for you that might help us provide some specific help?

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

This is good advice. Some restaurants offer gluten-free menus or mark items with “GF” on their regular menu, and I try to eat at such places. I still talk to the manager when I order to be sure. 
    I've had a swollen gland in my neck similar to what you described.  I found that taking thiamine helps immensely.   Here's an article that you might find helpful..... http://wandererandhome.weebly.com/heal-yourself/vitamin-b1-th...
    Mummu said her daughter was "constantly nauseated, tired, and having little to no interest in eating.  She's lost weight and I'm worried she may be becoming depressed"   I agree with M.Martha.  The Autoimmune diet without dairy and...