Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AJR

Trying To Diagnose...

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if my symptoms are indeed Celiac related. I am currently waiting on test results, but have one odd symptom I have not been able to correlate...

3 years ago I started breaking out in hives when exercising (heavily) and gradually got worse. As it got worse I was able to correlate certain foods and other things that were triggers (tomato, cats)... Other things bother me as well and I thought I was becoming allergic to everything, however prick tests were always negative. About 1-1/2 ago, I started having stomach problems (C, D, gas and abdominan pain, palpitations) and had a couple bouts of tachy. Doctors were able to diagnose me with nothing. I have had MRI, ultrasounds, stress testing, echocardio. I went to my gastro and he said I was stressed and I should meditate...

More recently, the allergies have subsided a bit, but I am having bad fatigue. As someone else said sometimes feels like concrete is running through my veins. It started with some slight fatigure in my legs and has now progressed to a more overall body fatigue (not sleepy tired though). I have had so much blood work done and nothing ever shows up. After going back to my allergist I mentioned some of my other symptoms to him and he suggested that I may have celiac. Not sure why my gastro did not mention this, but anyway I am currently being tested and finding a new gastro.

To get to my point though, I become very tired (to the point when it is hard to function) on hot and humid days. On days when it is raining or cool, I feel much better. This is even though I live in an air conditioned house, car and work. It is not that I am outside on these days. This is the part I cannot explain. Anyone have any similar experiences with or without celiac?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, this sounds like what I have. Myasthenia Gravis. With Myasthenia Gravis you can't tolerate the heat well. It makes you weaker. Hot showers and hot tubs are a no no. It can cause respiratory distress. Cold showers are fine. :P Also, you fatigue more as the days wears on. You can have ocular MG or general MG. I have general. My breathing, swallowing, legs, arms, back, neck, are affected. It is no fun, none at all. I had a thymectory 2 yrs ago and thought that may have done the trick. Sad to say, I was good for 6 mos and now my health is declining again. There is not much they can do for it. They give immunosuppressives, steroids, and Mestinon. That's pretty much it. If that doesn't work, well, it's not too great. I am down to well, not much is working. I am having difficulty sitting up in the evenings, being short of breath, etc. I am to the point where I am going to have to have plasmapheresis treatments regularly now. I was just having them during a crisis. :(

Sorry, didn't mean to make that a rant about me. <_< They can do an EMG and some ANA test and also a Tensilon test to diagnose. I pray this is not it.

Bakinghomesteader

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if my symptoms are indeed Celiac related. I am currently waiting on test results, but have one odd symptom I have not been able to correlate...

3 years ago I started breaking out in hives when exercising (heavily) and gradually got worse. As it got worse I was able to correlate certain foods and other things that were triggers (tomato, cats)... Other things bother me as well and I thought I was becoming allergic to everything, however prick tests were always negative. About 1-1/2 ago, I started having stomach problems (C, D, gas and abdominan pain, palpitations) and had a couple bouts of tachy. Doctors were able to diagnose me with nothing. I have had MRI, ultrasounds, stress testing, echocardio. I went to my gastro and he said I was stressed and I should meditate...

More recently, the allergies have subsided a bit, but I am having bad fatigue. As someone else said sometimes feels like concrete is running through my veins. It started with some slight fatigure in my legs and has now progressed to a more overall body fatigue (not sleepy tired though). I have had so much blood work done and nothing ever shows up. After going back to my allergist I mentioned some of my other symptoms to him and he suggested that I may have celiac. Not sure why my gastro did not mention this, but anyway I am currently being tested and finding a new gastro.

To get to my point though, I become very tired (to the point when it is hard to function) on hot and humid days. On days when it is raining or cool, I feel much better. This is even though I live in an air conditioned house, car and work. It is not that I am outside on these days. This is the part I cannot explain. Anyone have any similar experiences with or without celiac?

Thanks.

i am a new celiac and have a hard time with the heat too. i figure it is part of recovery for me. i also have bouts of tachycardia but again, calling it part of recovery. and these things are getting less severe for me now that i'm gluten-free. i didn't know how much gluten was doing to my system until things started getting better. i hope you get some answers - my bloodwork for celiac was negative but the biopsy showed damage. that happens too. good luck.

Unfortunately, this sounds like what I have. Myasthenia Gravis. With Myasthenia Gravis you can't tolerate the heat well. It makes you weaker. Hot showers and hot tubs are a no no. It can cause respiratory distress. Cold showers are fine. :P Also, you fatigue more as the days wears on. You can have ocular MG or general MG. I have general. My breathing, swallowing, legs, arms, back, neck, are affected. It is no fun, none at all. I had a thymectory 2 yrs ago and thought that may have done the trick. Sad to say, I was good for 6 mos and now my health is declining again. There is not much they can do for it. They give immunosuppressives, steroids, and Mestinon. That's pretty much it. If that doesn't work, well, it's not too great. I am down to well, not much is working. I am having difficulty sitting up in the evenings, being short of breath, etc. I am to the point where I am going to have to have plasmapheresis treatments regularly now. I was just having them during a crisis. :(

Sorry, didn't mean to make that a rant about me. <_< They can do an EMG and some ANA test and also a Tensilon test to diagnose. I pray this is not it.

Bakinghomesteader

Thanks for the reply. Did you or are you having any of the other symptoms as well (tachycardia, allergies, stomach illness (gas, bloating, C, D)?

Andrew