Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MALACHI

Forgot About Beer

I have been gluten free for over two months and feeling pretty good. Probably would feel better if I gave up dairy too, but that's another subject.

Anyway Sunday afternoon I went to my sons house and he cooked dinner on the grill.

I had 3 lite beers. Really dumb, I know. It never occured to me that there was gluten in beer (and oddly, I never, ever drink beer) until the next day.

I was starting to feel as if maybe I was wrong about my gluten intolerance, because I felt fine. About 8 pm Monday night after about 45 minutes on the treadmill I got nauseaus. I proceeded to throw up every hour on the hour until the next afternoon. I called my doctor (who tested me and said there was no gluten problem)

to get something to kill the nausea (which they wouldn't give me) who said it was probably food poisoning.

It is now Weds nite and although I stopped heaving (no food in me) I have been miserably week and sick for two days and doing nothing but laying around (weak) and sleeping. Forgive me for being gross but I am

plugged up like I don't know what. Wouldn't food poisoning give you diarrhea?

I'm 98% sure it was the gluten in the beer that made me so sick...

has someone else had this experience?

thanks for any help

I have been gluten free for over two months and feeling pretty good. Probably would feel better if I gave up dairy too, but that's another subject.

Anyway Sunday afternoon I went to my sons house and he cooked dinner on the grill.

I had 3 lite beers. Really dumb, I know. It never occured to me that there was gluten in beer (and oddly, I never, ever drink beer) until the next day.

I was starting to feel as if maybe I was wrong about my gluten intolerance, because I felt fine. About 8 pm Monday night after about 45 minutes on the treadmill I got nauseaus. I proceeded to throw up every hour on the hour until the next afternoon. I called my doctor (who tested me and said there was no gluten problem)

to get something to kill the nausea (which they wouldn't give me) who said it was probably food poisoning.

It is now Weds nite and although I stopped heaving (no food in me) I have been miserably week and sick for two days and doing nothing but laying around (weak) and sleeping. Forgive me for being gross but I am

plugged up like I don't know what. Wouldn't food poisoning give you diarrhea?

I'm 98% sure it was the gluten in the beer that made me so sick...

has someone else had this experience?

thanks for any help

Sure does sound like you got glutened. Effectively you just did a gluten challenge. I hope you recover quickly but it can take some time. Some extra sublingual B12 may help a bit with the fatigue and some find pepto bismal (name brand) to help if your stomach still hurts. Redbridge is an okay gluten free beer and there are others. They are pricey but perhaps you could keep some on hand to take to the next BBQ.

Sure does sound like you got glutened. Effectively you just did a gluten challenge. I hope you recover quickly but it can take some time. Some extra sublingual B12 may help a bit with the fatigue and some find pepto bismal (name brand) to help if your stomach still hurts. Redbridge is an okay gluten free beer and there are others. They are pricey but perhaps you could keep some on hand to take to the next BBQ.

Thanks for answering ravenswood? I will try the b12, as for the beer, I never liked it anyway

and don't know what ever prompted me to drink it.

I feel like all the little antibodies came out and shut the gate on me. I am going to call the doc again tomorro

and either take a bottle of magnesium citrate or go to the hospital.

I will have missed 4 days of work because of this tomorro.

It is good to know finally that gluten really is a problem and not just my imagination...