Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bjshad

Enterolab False Positive?

Hi - I have a question about Enterolab's stool IgA anti-gliadin test. I was reading about it yesterday and came across a message during a search that if a person is constipated - probably severly constipated that it could cause a false postive.

My 3yr old daughter took the stool test and it came back with an IgA level of 62. So, my question is, she was constipated, and in addition, she is not potty trained. I had to use the contents of her diapers and in order to get enough stool for the test, I had to collect it over a 3-4 day period. So there were probably a total of 4-5 total stools in the sample I sent it.

So would this skew the test in some way?

We're going to have persue an actual celiac panel test for her. She's back on gluten and we're going to go the medical route for an actual diagnosis, but I was just wondering if all the stools in her test could accumulate antibodies and create a false test. The Enterolab website says it's okay to collect several stools for an infant from diapers, but she's not an infant - she's an older child. So that's why I'm wondering. For adults and older children, just one stool is collected, not 4 or 5, so that's where my question arises. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Beth

I would think that if you contacted Enterolab directly with your questions about reliability, they would be able to let you know. I've called them with several questions recently, & they've been very helpful to me over the phone. Plus, the instructions do state that for adults too, several stool samples can be collected until enough is there for the test, so I wouldn't think it would be any different for a 3 year old.

Good luck!

i was the one that posted about constipation raising antigliadin levels. this is something that our ped gi just recently told me when i was questioning him about test results. raised antigliadin levels are not a really accurate test to base a celiac diagnosis on. i think it is a good idea that you are going the medical route for a diagnosis---but i know that alot of people feel differently about this subject. if all of your daughter's tests come back normal, however, i think you have nothing to lose if you try her gluten free to see if it makes any difference.

i have learned that there are even other things that can raise Ttg levels besides celiac disease----but i don't think that they are particularly common. one of them is host-versus-graft disease-----but obviously you would have to be a transplant patient to have that one.